Friday, May 23, 2014

This and That from San Diego

I rode the Coaster train to San Diego four years ago. The old library had three microfilms on the second floor. A sports editor used that head for his daily writing. I believe it gave him a chance to beat around the bush--So to speak. And so it is with me. In the last few days, I have taken what life has provided.

I overspent the week of the freakish hot weather. To avoid dehydration, I spent over one hundred dollars attending movies i and eating out. I would have to burn my 40 dollar flight on Spirit the night of the 21st. I had booked a red eye for Portland on Spirit Airlines. But if I could not go, at least I possibly get others to do my footwork. 
  I arrived at San Diego's Lindbergh Field at about five 'clock. I had taken the airport bus after buying a few goodies at the Seven Eleven. I could sit at the gate and pass my blogger card to those traveling to Portland. A machine gave me my boarding pass.for my seven o'clock flight. Of course I had no carry-on bag. 
  The only hitch became security. They put me under an arch and a contraption circled ,e. Then they took my bulging wallet and screed it. Yet I did not react--not the new George. I passed through a maze of gate numbers. Unlike the first floor, there were many restaurants and bars. In fact, even the water coolers worked. 
  I had finished my salad and sandwich and took up a seat in the section for Portland  A rather large lady sat across from me. She had a round freckled face head.  She held a large California Pizza inside a carton. She tried to fold her legs, but without any success. She then grabbed a pants leg with her left hand and dragged the leg over the right one. She sucked each finger with every bite. I never saw anyone eat with so much gusto. 
 A neatly dressed man sat across from me. Why everything he word was perfect. His white hair was cropped just right. He sat demurely with a slight grin on his face. The freckled faced one kept throwing slices of California into her mouth. I heard an announcement over the overhead speakers. 
  "We need volunteers to give up their Portland flight for a hotel and round trip on another." The man across from me confirmed what I had heard. For a moment, I forgot myself and jumped up like I had won a big jack pot. I went to the gate and a representative told me Spirit was oversold by four tickets. He removed my boarding pass and told me to return at six thirty. The possibility of staying in a first class hotel instead of my 'Y" cell intrigued me. I would lavish myself with cold air and a fluffy pillow for the first time in quite a while.  
  I began to chat with David, a Chaplin in the Mission Valley area. Rather than relating my boring chatter, I will reveal what David told me. 
   " I served in the Navy as a Chaplin, I had been stationed in Iraq for a couple of years and seen the war at first hand. On my return to San Diego, I went to a different church and saw how readily they accepted me. They sung, danced and a great time. They also showed me now I would get to heaven."You see George, a few years later, I contacted leukemia. I had to go many treatments of radiation but now it is under control "
   I told David of my similar experience in Old Town and how a Reverend had wet my appetite for religion. He told me his kids were over sixty and his wife wished to have him continue working with those with post war injuries. Over the speaker It became boarding time and it told volunteers to go up front again. 
  Well, it seems that six did not show up. Of course the flight no longer needed me. But the prize I received was finding out that I wished to be put up in a hotel the rest of my life. Also meeting David excited me. I am in heaven when I meet interesting people.  

  Today I had scheduled a meeting with a printer in the Bankers area of San Diego. My meeting with him was set for ten o'clock. I had time to eat a hardy breakfast at the Mercy Scrip's Hospital. And was i in for a treat. For five dollars, I had two pieces of toast, scrambled eggs, hot spinach and three pieces of lean beacon. 
 I scrambled the eggs into the spinach and was I in for a surprise The taste was terrific Unfortunately both the hospital library and the print shop were closed due to Memorial Day. But the memory of the Spinach and eggs will become a trendy treat for me from now on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment