Thursday, May 1, 2014

A Perfect Storm

The story about the Perfect Storm has been updated. Firestorms hit San Diego this week. Thousands have bee sent home packing their bags. To my south is the Big Bernardo fire, and to my north is the fire storm in Carlsbad. (Today is the 14th of May.)
   I fell asleep in the 'Y' for one hour. At about six, the phone rang. It took me a minute to regain my senses. It was my daughter.  "Dad, how are you coping with your asthma. I am worried. The newscast said it hit a record in San Diego. Does the hotel have my number? And do you still wish to have an ash funeral?
   Listen. I am still alive. What is that noise in the background. Put Allison on. "She is trying to stand. Here Allison speak to Grand Pa. 'Grapa'. So how is school? "Everything is great and I adore my two babies. When is the fifth. I get paid and then we can drive down there and see you."  Now don't forget to bring my volleyball. Love George 
    After the call, I gave what she said a long thought. In no way could I die now. I needed to see my two blue eyed babies. But I can't stay here in this hot tomb...At least not for now. I decided to take the nine o'lock Amtrak out of the Santa Fe Station. I would cleanse my lungs and provide a break in the day. I did it. My Compass card was good for that train. In fact,  many use voided Compass cards since Amtrak does not have a gadget to check their validity. They get a free ride.  
  It did the trick. I felt like a new man when I returned with Dolly, my trusted car. I parked in the Commuter Station and took the Green Line Trolley back to Santa Fe. I think my mind needed an aversion to the Black Death that hovered over San Diego. 
This morning, I felt fine. The  weather man spoke of records and breezy conditions again. To celebrate another day in the life of Cruisin' George, I drove to the Harbor Sheraton Hotel and took in its free air. I read their complimentary  paper, the U.T. and thought about eating breakfast there. 
   It is unforgivable that our City Council did not decree that seniors should have the right to air conditioning-after all-we deserve it. I have survived three years in a filthy place in order to cut corners for my family. 
  The scoffed and made fun of me when I gave my speech about the dank air at the Y.M.C.A. (Now it will be updated, and luckily for me, I survived. None of city council men will get my vote-on the contrary-I will support anybody on the clean air ticket 

No comments:

Post a Comment