Monday, May 19, 2014

The Pied Piper of San Diego.

I sat down in the back to listen to more of Father Ecker.stories. He began his Catholic teachings at North Island many years ago, about the same time Babe Ruth hit sixty homeruns. He may have looked older than Father Time, but his stories stir his congregation and stop the clock. Today, at 10:30 it would be no different. I sat in the back after indulging in a five dollar pancake breakfast inside   the Rectory.  
   He wore a long white robe. His voice was audible to everyone. His eyes darted everywhere. He did not give a practiced speech. It was strictly impromptu. He had a gift. His mind was on the pulse of his congregation. "Sorry I am late. There was a running event on the Coronado Bridge. I almost had to leave my car and enter the event to get here. 
   He stopped idle talk and let his eyes do the speaking. He looked around as if searching for a gold nugget. "Are there any kids younger than nine here..." He again looked around. Time stopped. Finally, a little dark haired kid dared to walk to the front and face Father Ecker. 
."What is your name?...What is your name?
     "Bi..ll..y"
      "Where are you from Billy? Are you from Cleveland? Boston?... Oh, Chula Vista! ....Do you play baseball? Will you hold this candle for Jesus and follow me. He bent down and gave Billy a lighted candle. 
   Now I have seen lots of things in my life. But this event topped the rest. Here was Old Man Ecker strolling around the pews and stopping now and then to pick up another child. Billy held a large candle. The line crept along until it became three little boys. Then the snake hit pay dirt. . 
    In the row in front of me sat five little urchins, ranging in age from four to nine. A large tattooed Dad pushed them along with Father Ecker. Now there were nine in this procession. The large congregation sat motionless. Nothing stirred except the big candle's light. 
   The flicker of the candle passed by everyone. Babies stopped crying. Now more and more Jesus followers also moved, but not with legs, but with their minds. He turned and spoke to each one.
   "What sport do you like the most?...Oh, basketball." Of course the shortest in the group had raised his hand. The candle was given to each child. I have never seen a congregation so attentive.
   The next morning I drove to the Harbor Sheraton for pure air and coffee. Their Starbucks line was way out the door. The heat even baked these conventioneers. Then it came to me. I remembered   my Mother Edith reading about the Pied Piper of Hamelin. I forgot what the children's story was about until I checked out a book from the Carlsbad Library, where I am now.  In the above story, the Pied Piper of Hamelin rid the town of their rats, but was not paid. He then took their kids away from them. 
   We certainly need a Pied Piper in Washington D.C. today. He would throw most of those law makers into the Potomac River. Remember what our president promised. "You can keep your same doctor." Well, we need another flute player to remove the lies from the White House.  

   "

No comments:

Post a Comment