Friday, May 16, 2014

San Diego is Burning-Part 2

The air quality today-for the first time-registered unhealthy for today. But since I have owned asthma since the age of five, for me it could be a death sentence. In spite of many requests, there is still no AC in my YMCA cell. The back pages of the Union Tribune gave the dead air a 106 rating at North Island and a 67 for downtown. The main offender was ozone.
   Two weeks ago, I threw away my blood pressure pills. They cause dehydration. Instead of a too-busy Kaiser, I became my own doctor. The air in Encinitas yesterday felt heavy. The hot scorched land filled the sky with embers.
   I felt listless after a morning at the Encinitas Senior Center. Out of the blue it came to me. Why not see a movie in the La Jolla Village. I left Li'l Oak Cafe and strode to my car. I placed a glove over my right hand to hold the steering wheel. I felt good its tank was one quarter full.
   I got off the 5 on La Jolla Village Drive. After a few minutes I found the location of the theater. I parked my car in front of Chase bank, in a disabled zone. I walked across the lot to the theater. But the theater's box office was closed. I peered inside to find the time the movies would begin. It was then 12:30 so I remembered Ralph's and its air conditioning. Still it was hot, very hot!
   It was just the tonic for my pulmonary system. An inside eating area had been set up. Wrought iron surrounded the cage with more black iron tables. One gal worked a computer and at another a lady read several newspapers. In the back on the sixth table sat another lady eating a burrito. I wondered if they were there like me-to cushion the heat.
   Now at the front table I relaxed--that is until a large hairy monster came my way. He sat across from me without asking. A small yamalka sat on the top of his white hair. His big head sat on top of a huge belly. He began talking to me, and did not care if I listened or not.
   'I am from Boston. My family was in the slot machine a gum ball business. They bought the business in 1977. My Dad died at 55 so I took my Mom to San Diego. We live in the college area where I take care of my Mom....There are a lot of Jews from South Africa who moved here. It was not safe for them to stay there as roving bands of white bullied and took their money..."
   While I listened to Barney Silvers, a man returned with a nap sack hitched to his back. His tennis shoes soles opened and closed their mouths. The shoes were hungry for more shoe leather. "Forgot my glasses. you seen them," he asked a skinny lady ravishing a Sunday ice cream cup. She ignored him and continued to feast on the chocolate. Ignored, slowly he left her. She continued to swim with her Sunday's joy.
  'You will have to excuse me. I need to buy a kosher fish." I walked to the deli section and ordered before my hair turned more silver.
  "Give me a half pound of the white fish and a small amount of Cole Slaw." I gave him eight bucks, removed a napkin and fork and left for the patio table. Silver's was still there picking away at a Cornish hen. I unwrapped my fish and asked the silver one to refrain from talk-but in a nice way.
   'I enjoy your chatter but wish to be alone with my fish." Silver got the message and left. It was now one thirty and time to go to the theater. Outside it was sizzling hot, but the time well spent at Ralph's put more walk in my tired legs.

  Now was my big break. I paid for my $8.30 senior ticket inside. I asked a tall thin young lady for her advise. "I need a movie without sex and violence."  She replied that she "had the one for me, but it began at two forty." I told her I could wait. "The movie is about a dead artist. The nannies still pictures were shown everywhere after here death.
  Inside the main lobby, I took a cup and filled it with their water I drank two cups and read some of my blogs. After thirty minutes, I walked to the theater. Inside, it felt cold, too cold...but I loved it. The movie was about somebody named Meir or something like that. The speaker bought her boxes at an auction and uncovered hundreds of pictures, letters and more information about her...
  I loved the movie but I had the desire to sleep. I found my car and after asking a few people where the 5 freeway was located, I drove back to Old Town and parked my car. I still felt pissed on the way the new Egyptian owners had treated us. It owner, a Mr Mistake apologized for sending us a 60 day termination  letter. 
  What Mr. Mistake, the new owners,  does not know is I was named after my Great Grandfather who was named after the son of Moses or Gershom. I will send seven more plagues after Mr. Mistake if he does not rekindle my room with an air conditioner.  I will explain more about the Y's fiasco later. 
 I have not slept soundly for one week, and as you can plainly see can still write a bit. Late afternoon I needed another pick me up. OB or Ocean Beach would be my new destination. I needed to fill my head with the smell of salt water and some fish food. 
 I would take the 7:10 Coaster train out of the station and bus my way to OB. Inside the train, I saw Seattle Jim. He had a large nap sack on his back. I hollered out for him to join me. We sat together while the trains conductor warned us it was about to leave the station. 
  Excuse the interruption, but the kind librarian warned a patron not to talk so loud on his cell phone. New rules were posted of more strict rules...finally!  I am on an eight floor computer Outside the air is darker than usual. the winds have made deadly air blow here downtown. 
  I came from Oceanside this morning. I could see the flames and  smoke. My eyes smarted the entire day. The meal was just what my mind needed, something to divert my mind from the heat of the day.
  I got to bed about twelve. The temperature in the room was now below the eight degree mark. I left the door open so I might be drafted into the army and assigned to an air conditioned office.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment