Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Return Trip to San Juan Capistrano

Yesterday I was all set to take the Amtrak 567 to the Carlsbad's Sunday Beach Street Fair. It is the once-a-year's beach city's big event. Exhibitors would  blanket the downtown area selling everything you could imagine. It closed in on eight o'clock and I had to get ready for Amtrak's 567 train to Carlsbad. No car for me, I love to read and view the sea. Besides, I love to listen to music and watch men trying to assault Mount Everest. (rock climbing)
   I prepared to leave when my phone rang. It was my first daughter.
   "Dad, I am taking the kids to the petting zoo. Do you wish to meet us there? I will be coming alone."
   '"Of course, I can always attend the fair next year, but seeing my two grandkids is my World's Fair for a Day. Of course I think the world of them.
    "Meet us at the petting zoo"
   Like last time, I bought an Amtrak ticket for twelve and change. I exchanged my blog card for Gail's ticket and climbed aboard at eight ten. The 567 leaves at eight o'clock and makes all Coaster stops along the way. That perk is the trip cost me only from Oceanside to San Juan Capistrano.
   White Death sat across from me two seats down. She had to be climbing one hundred. I have never seen such white hair in my life, except for Snow White. Her ever-worn face clutched a paper. Her eyes closed yet she still clutched her paper. Kiss marks covered her hands and boney long fingers. Miss Whiteman only needed to chew on See's candy to bring back the good old forties. I imagined her sewing on an original White sewing machine. Still as death she sat.  .
   Sorry for this spur-of-the-moment description, but my train treat on Amtrak is not just reading and looking at the always changing scenic view, but watching people older than time.
   The 567 chugged into the old Capistrano station. I walked south and felt the cool air. "Why didn't I wear a jacket, you fool," I told myself. I turned right next to a museum and walked few feet and turned a corner to buy a ticket.
   My first daughter saw me. She pointed to the cashier to let me in She had paid  for me.
   'Hurry Dad, I can't allow Spring to stay inside too long." She carried Spring, all head and eyes. Her blue eyes rivet on me every time the seven month year old sees me. Inside the petting ring sat Spring, my first born grand daughter. She was handling a guinea pig.
   'Take it easy...not too hard. You are killing it...That's better...Give it more lettuce" Our attention was focused on the three year old. Summer Time just kept sucking her bottle and looking where her round hairless head too her. My daughter had her strapped to herself inside an apron. She could have been a kangaroo baby.
   A few kids were petting rabbits and donating vegetables their Mom's had bought. There was horse back riding, and also a train ride. A large party was going on further down.
  Now Spring wished to go on the train. "George, wave, wave...that's better." 

   Now it was time for lunch. We gathered everything up and strolled towards Rubies. My daughter told me it had a  friendly bathroom for the kids. 
   Spring Time could or would not sit still. We ordered the usual, a turkey burger and the real one for me. I got a coloring paper with crayolas and began to shade in the characters. She also colored and preferred the fries to the hot-dog-on-a-stick. (I  ate it later.) 
   We then went to the park, in back of the train station. There was a slide, swings and also a horse saddle. I became a kid again. My train back to San Diego would leave at 1:43 I kissed my daughter the two grand ones good-by. 
   I took a last look at the historical Victorian houses planted adjacent to the rail road tracks. It resembled a Garden of Eden with old but well kept up houses wishing me a good trip. The sun was hot, but it felt just right. 
   "Choo, choo,choo" Well that is my train, see you next time on the Blue Eyed Special 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment