Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Happy Birthday at the Li'l Oak Cafe

. It is no secret I travel on Amtrak on these hot mornings. After 74 years,  I know when my mind needs clean air to think. It was only in the eighties today, along with a blast of Santa Ana wind blowing my way...But that was on Monday. Today is like yesterday's Tuesday, in the nineties. 
  I made it to the Encinitas' Senior Center in the nick of time. We were to have beef tips, rice, and a spinach salad for lunch. I entered and noticed a clean white cap. The hat covered his big ears and nose.  Horst reminded me of my own facial features.
  "George, I want to tell you something. The only one who tells me to open my mouth wide is my dentist. The rest of the time my friends beg me to shut it." Horst is running back and forth grabbing any long hair with dimples in the right places.
   Horst I wish to know more about your home town of Essen. After the war, the town of Essen no longer had any houses. There were street signs only. The walls of our renowned synagogue remained. An organization wished to raze it, but because it became an historical monument, it remained.
   "My parents and I went to the Friday and Saturday Sabbath. Our home was strictly kosher. Mom was a fine cook. She wished to give me piano lessons, but I enjoyed sports too much. I enjoyed all sports but in particular boxing, and soccer."
   " I remember that my Dad's father Marcus had an oil and gas business. His two sons were David and Ruben. Their god father was ruler Fredrick William. Dad was from Cologne and Mom from Coblins. My grandfather originally came from Russia to Germany. In my Hebrew school, I studied math, French, German and English. My Aunts name was Elsa, and my uncles was Meyer. There last name was Levenson. We often rode the trains to visit them in Holland."
   "George I need to go now to the get my heart checked. They are going to put dye inside my arteries to see if their is a leak in the stint."

    It was another blast of hot Santa Ana Air. I needed a good AC today. The senior center offers me that along with two tuned pianos and plenty of laughter. This Friday will be Fiesta time here. It upset me that two friends can no longer come due to the Big A.  
   I worked in the commuter room and played the piano until it was time for lunch.
   "Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you..." The Li'l Oak Cafe celebrated birthdays yesterday. Even Lady Barbara showed up late. But now she wore a back patch. Yet she made it as we celebrated May birthdays with ice cream sundaes.
   The Cafe was filled with sweet-tooth seniors. On the menu were stuffed peppers, rice, and vegetables. I gave Lady Barbara my late birthday card. Her 85th was on the 28th of April. She had lost a few pounds from her gridiron frame. But her infectious smile remained. Table 5 now became a twosome as more wished to join the miracle table. (Two tables instead of one.)
  "At the table were Ellen, her daughter from Boston, Craig, Ron, Abe, Thomas, and Barbara. Barbara had saved up a week of words. We tabled our words and let her have hers. "My son took me to the doctor for my ailing back. He x-ray it. I could not believe the twists and turns of my spinal cord.
 The doctor suggested a patch to be worn on my back for the pain. At first I tried a number one, but finally settled for a number six. My pain had been that bad."
  At that point Judy ran off the names for those with May birthdays. I told Lady to play her favorite songs on the piano. She had told me that a friend had brought a DVD of her great uncle's great songs, including For an Irish Rose.
  My little lady played. The world is not the same if Lady does not play. Her smile makes everyone at Table Five smile. I also played a few numbers with a bit more energy. My Lady was back with us.

  As I leave you today. Pray for San Diego. San Diego is ablaze. Few of the hotels have air conditioning-but so what-we don't count.

No comments:

Post a Comment