Wednesday, May 14, 2014

San Diego is Burning.

It was seven fifteen. The Coaster train had dropped me off. It was another freak scorcher. It would be another day in the nineties. I survived the downtown 'Y' one more day. In the last two months, we've had three Santa Ana south west winds.  
   Like most old hotels in San Diego, they are not equipped with A/C units. My room, like thousands of others, runs over ninety degrees during the summer months. San Diego is  bipolar. The yellow ties run away and hide to coastal communities while the others drink their toxic air.
   I entered the Encinitas' Senior Center at eight o'clock. Again there was no wind. It felt good to be in a A/C room. The breakfast special at Coco's was just what I needed to begin my day--eggs, sausages, pancakes and ice cold water. But most of all, it had nice cold air. . I needed to get some papers from the trunk of my car while another siren went by.  

   Outside a blast of hot air hit me. My baseball cap flew off my head on its way to Wriggly Field in Chicago. A few plumes of smoke came from the north, and not the west. Shit, shit, another fire storm. 
   Somebody from the T.V room mentioned the Palomar Airport. Now Palomar Road is a main Carlsbad artery. I use it to eat at the Tip Top restaurant and to view the Rose show. I heard,, by now, thirty homes were down and up to 20,000 residents had packed and left. 
   "What a shame," I thought, "that the city council allowed development inside a forest of trees. I knew that the 5 freeway would be closed today-too many fire trucks. 
   It is quite ere to watch a ball of smoke come my way. But above El Camino Real, there are just too many developments competing with nature. I had hoped to soup at the Tip Top restaurant. The good news is that I can take my car to the commuter station and take the train in. 
   Tonight I will pray for an ocean breeze, but this event is no longer a normal occurs as much as other years. Now the westerly winds play a tug of war with those blast-famous easterlies. 
   Like most I left the Senior Center and fled to the commuter station again. In know way would I try to drive today. The freeways were murky at best. The Coaster train returned me to my hot house cell at the 'Y'. 
  I ate a snack and saw fog in the distance. But this fog had a yellow tint to it. Yes, the freak fire storm spread its ashes all the way to downtown San Diego. 

No comments:

Post a Comment