Thursday, May 1, 2014

Don Sterling School Days.

I had no idea that Donald Sterling came from Boyle Heights and attended Roosevelt High School. Abe told me that while eating at Table 5 yesterday in Encinitas.  Boyle Heights sat below City Terrace and to the east of downtown Los Angeles. 
   I had taught math, and then English at Hollenbeck Jr. High School from 1963-1985. It was across the street from the campus of Roosevelt High School. I had no idea that the owner of my apartment on Rexford in Beverly Hills had gone to Roosevelt, and in fact, was president of his class in 1952. His wife, Rochelle, also graduated to the same school. (From USA 5-1-2014)
   I crossed his path only once.  I rented his apartment in Beverly Hills for one year. One week after we rented it, he had the swimming pool's heat turned off. My two daughters and I were the only Americans living in the apartment along with recent immigrated Persians. The apartment smelled of goat's milk and lots of garlic. I even drove to his palace on Beverly Drive and Wilshire. His building had silver moon shape object on the top. 
   
   Don Tokwitz, Sterling.  was brought up in the Boyle Heights area of Los Angeles. Like my Dad and other Jews, we were no strangers to prejudice and discrimination. My Dad forced another name on me when in junior high school.
    It was just east of the Los Angeles River. It was a melting pot of many different nationalities, but mainly displaced Europeans, Jews and Mexicans. There were several synagogues in Boyle Heights in the thirties and forties. 
   Lunch time at Hollenbeck meant one of us with a free fourth period  had to take orders and buy from Cantor's Deli on Brooklyn and Soto Streets. n the sixties, I often took orders from my fellow teachers for lunch. Corn Beef or Pastrami on Rye were their favorites, of course with lots of fries, ketchup and cokes. (I believe one of the Cantor sons played football for U.C.L.A. in the 30's. He played alongside Jackie Robinson and Kenny Washington.) The slaughter houses were south of the school and when the winds came from the South, one could smell a ham sandwich on rye without paying for it. The school was heavily black topped without air conditioners. 
   For the last week, I have refused to watch T.V. Why so much anger for this slum lord. Just look at yourself in the mirror and count the times you made a racial slur against a group of people. At least Don Sterling gave back lots to charity.
   Anybody who wishes to see the real problems of our society come to San Diego and ride the Blue Line Trolley at night. Those without identity strike out on life itself.
   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment