Saturday, May 3, 2014

The Y.M.C.A. is Closing Its Doors

I have heard from a Y.M.C.A. staff member here that it will close in two months. "Miss Gloria gave the new owners the stamp of approval to buy it, and rehab it." Gloria replaced Mayor Feltmore until a new mayor could be elected. He sits in the City Counsel meetings held on Monday's and Tuesday's.
   I have lived in this historical monument on Broadway for three years.  Before it became a Army and Navy building in 1924, it was owned by International Harvester. The 500 West Building probably will be gutted with central air, at long last, but don't hold your breath. Others have promised to enhance the edifice, but didn't.
   I have survived a number of spider bites, Cock Roaches eating my left overs, and me when there was none. Bed Bugs shared my bed causing me to scratch and finally wear pajamas. The Cock Roaches live inside the walls have lookouts and sentries ready to lead the charge to a anything  that smells of food.
  Three years ago in May, I moved in to the Hotel Loco. My next door neighbor, a writer. coined the term. Sir Thomas Cartwright ruled with a sensitive thumb. I remember the day, three years ago, when I moved into my little cell on the second floor. There was a small refrigerator, eleven inch T.V. and a small bed in front of a window that looked outside into the courtyard.
 "We can't find your application. HUD needs proof of your monthly income." Exhausted, I ran back to my car parked on G Street and India Avenue. I found my last check's stub and gave it to him. He made a phone call and I saw my room."
  "Mr. Garrett, You can have as many towels as you wish. Also, we offer coffee and apples in the morning. Your room will be cleaned every week." So much for promises.
   My first day there I went to the 'Y's kitchen to make scrambled eggs. A heavy set black man with a Caribbean was cutting up a large garlic roll. I sat down and said the food looked good. From then on it was war with 'Jelly Belly'. "Go f...k yourself! He wore a towel draped over his engine after showering. We always bumped into one another until last year when he threatened my life.
  HUD sent us patrons from across the border. They were rehabs and in remission from T.B. Whopping Cough or from Drugs. Many inmates slept during the day and walked the halls at night. Few could sleep during the hot days.
   Why two years ago, San Diego registered 102 degrees. I slept at Lindbergh Field that week. Sir Thomas refused to ask the owners to place a air conditioner above my head. Since five, I has suffered with  asthma  and bronchitis, but he did not care. Even a letter from my doctor did little good. I new when my rooms temperature hit over 85 at night, to go to a hotel or the airport.
   You see, concrete holds heat, unlike adobe. With hot weather, its takes the building a few days to release the heat. Also, San Diego is make up of many skyscrapers. Yes, the are beautiful like the Wesson or the Hyatt, but these big blocks block the Harbor breezes, quite unlike Oceanside or Carlsbad. These monsters not only hold the heat in, but also the ozone, pollen and particles.
   Two days ago, we got our walking papers. For the three with wheel chairs, I hope they can find anther hotel with an air conditioner. For me I will survive on my retirement. My next headquarters will have an air conditioner or at least, be by the sea with an unencumbered breeze.
    Before I forget it, Charles Lindbergh, remember the Spirit of St. Louis, for a few months. It cost him a dollar a night then until he moved to the Grant for two Washington's.

No comments:

Post a Comment