Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Seventh Day of Passover

"Do I have to?" pleaded Moses. Without a flinch, his Jewish flock screamed, "Go for It!" But look how high the water is. I will most assuredly drown!"
    Moses had taken his people out of Egypt. They wandered in the desert for forty years eating nothing but Matzo, lamb, and whatever they could muster-up. The Egyptian soldiers had cornered them. Moses turned around and his flock in unison screamed, "Now!" "Are you kidding me?" Moses replied. His followers insisted, "Go for it!"
   He waded into the transparent sea. He needed to take them to the promised land of Israel. After all it was promised to the Jews. The water rose to the top of his neck and he stopped. He heard His voice. "Don't you trust even your Lord?"
  It was about eight o'clock and a visiting Rebb told this story at the little Jewish Store on Third and Island. I had been called upon to make a minion. Nine are needed before the Jewish prayers could begin. Our Cantor belted off some old Jewish hymns-the main reason Jews still go for the Sabbath. But I must finish the story before I throw up. (I had eaten some Ralph's black licorice along with a blood pressure pill and paid the price of a sleepless night.)
   His flock could not believe there eyes. The sea parted and they followed Moses to the promised land. When the turned around, the sea had turned Red, and swallowed up the Pharaoh's men. Now they would forever Trust their God.
   Our tall Rebb with a taller black beard and wide black hat continued the story with a twist. "Tomorrow night I want each of you to tell about a miracle that happened in your life. And try to connect it with a time you-too-took a chance and rolled the dice. It is only by taking a risk that we can grow to our real height.
   For me an unknown writer, walking there was a bit risky. But I did stop to take my blood pressure at Ralph's. It was high so I knew I had to wade into my bottle of pills to lower it. It was something I did not wish to do, but did it anyway. I found out that licorice and blood pressure pills don't mix. But as you can plainly see, I can still write.
   In life we have choices. Some things we must do. Some we should do. And there are some things we love to do. I wish to belong to the latter group, but know it is not realistic.


No comments:

Post a Comment