Monday, April 7, 2014

A Side Trip to San Juan Capistrano

My daughter called Saturday evening to tell me my two grandchildren, Summer and Spring, would be at the Petting Zoo in San Juan Capistrano this Saturday. Springtime is almost seven months and Summer is three. They are a handful, but a blessing for our family.   
   San Juan Capistrano is about an hour and a half drive from San Diego. But I seldom drive.  My younger daughter told me several years back that "anyone over fifty should never drive", and I listen to both of my daughters.  My life has changed since then. I never drive if a bus, train, trolley are more handy. It has removed half of my daily stress and kept my legs healthier and wiser. Besides, it beats smelling freeway smoke.  
   I paid my eleven bucks at the Santa Fe Station. The ticket paid from Oceanside to San Juan Capistrano. My Compass card gave me  a free trip up to Oceanside. I would meet my family at the San Juan station at ten o'clock. The #567 Amtrak pulled out of San Diego at eight twenty seven. It felt good leaving the driving to Amtrak. (I have since renamed it the Blue Eyed Special.)
   I pulled out the window blinds to shade my eyes. It would be another Santa Ana day in the South Bay. I brought my inhaler along. I knew asthma would attack me but was ready.I read my Dickens book along the way and marveled at the scenery. 
   I arrived at the San Juan station at ten o'clock and met my family. Well I did not see them but heard a sweet sound in back of me. 
   "Hi Grand D...a...d." 
   I picked up Summer and showed her off to the information officer. I then greeted my daughter and took a peek at spring. Her eyes riveted towards mine. Happiness filled my soul. I felt glad to have made it to seventy five years of age. 
   We began at a little patio cafe. My daughter brought me a croissant and coffee. I congratulated them for winning a grant to go back east for two weeks. Summer could not be restrained. She behaved like a bull in heat. Her blue eyes saw something down the way. 
   "I see petting zoo. I see petting zoo." In back of the cafe was the petting zoo. We soon walked in back and I have never seen a kid so excited. It reminded me of when I bought my first ice cream from a Good Humor truck."
    Summer pawed one of the many rabbits. They had bought some raw vegetables in a small container. She fed the rabbits while two ornery hens squawked and pranced around showing off their feathers. All awhile, Spring's eyes bolted at mine. Her big blue eyes could zeroed in on me.  I felt like she had known me her whole life. 
    Summer then went on a real horse. One word summed up the day: Excitement. I picked up Spring and she gave a look I will never forget. She seemed enveloped in me - that is until she needed more milk, and of course my daughter came to the rescue. 
   Afterwards, we ate at Ruben's. I had purchased my return fare back to Oceanside for eleven dollars. The Amtrak train would leave at one forty. I packed have of my uneaten chicken salad away and we all walked back to the station. 
   Again, Spring kept a vigil on me with her eyes. I was delighted to have two blue eyes watching me today. The next time I go north I will call my train the Blue Eyed Special. 

  At Oceanside, The 101 Breeze bus took me to my car in Encinitas. I needed to pick it up and go back to San Diego. I looked forward to learning the Quick Step at the Balboa Park Bay Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment