Thursday, April 24, 2014

Encinitas Computer Room.

About one year ago, the computer room at the Senior Center got a present. About fourteen computers were installed and everyone had high expectations. After installation, hundreds of seniors wished to know how to run them. Yet nobody told us how to run them. It was like buying a camera without instructions. 
   Every time we tried to go to the internet, the screen flashed "Firestorm" on its face. Disgusted I ran down to Vulcan and asked for the supervisor. A little kid named Cupcake came up to me. He seemed vexed. He took me to his back cubicle. 
  "Look. I have a number of problems at the fire stations. Just wait a week or two and everything will be fine." We waited for over two months before the computers finally began to operate. It was a disaster. Like today, it is like  buying a new car without instructions.  
   Today we had another problem. Our eight hours a week of volunteer tutors did not show up. Everyone was in a tither. Everyone complained. It became noisy.
  "Have you checked other resources?" Miss Peaches looked lovingly at me with her deep blue eyes. "Hell, we need help at the Senior Center's Computer Center." Again Peaches reiterates the same song, "Have you checked other resources?" "Hell, we've got people lined up for a tutor who never comes!"
   "Remember me from on year ago. I had asked you for a permanent Tutor and to make sure the machines all work the same, without different personalities. Remember what you said then, Miss Peaches?" Peaches was silent but her eyes riveted on mine. "You told me then that money for tutors had not been budgeted, remember?"
    The above exchange was made at their City Hall. I had left the senior center early to catch a Coaster to downtown San Diego. I wished to take a class and see a movie in the new Library's auditorium. Walter wished to come with me to see the new San Diego Library.
   
   In scene two, Maxfactor takes another route. "Can I ask you some questions?" "I've got to catch a train." "But can I ask you some questions?" "Well I will let you ask two."  "My first one is what other resources have you used?"

   We now left to the Encinitas' train station. I dropped Walter off since he needed to buy a ticket. I left my car in the commuter lot and went on top to see how Walter made out. "You were right George. It cost me $2.75 cents to get to the Santa Fe Station.
   The ride on the Coaster was uneventful. He gazed at the beautiful scenery and  I read my Dicken's book.I did not need to here anybody else saying "Where is the tutor?"  I told my friend Walter how to get to the new library.
   "You can take the Orange or Blue Line Trolley. Your stop is Market and Park. From there it is one block south. Since it is Wednesday, it opens at 12:30. I will be on the third floor with their digitized computers and microfilm."
  The next budget hearing will begin in another year. I will be there to shake a few heads. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment