Thursday, April 10, 2014

Dead Meat on Tenth Avenue

You niga..a..a. I give you pussy...and is that way to treat lady?"
   Next to my 'Y' cell I overheard this exchange. Yet my trigger is turned off. No words bother me. The second floor is loaded with drug addicts and some prostitutes. Silly, but exciting for me. Somehow I made it through the night after an unpleasant call from my daughter.
   Yesterday, though,  was a perfect day. I swam downstream and forgot time. In fact I wished for more. I did not take my small blood pressure pill-not needed. My mind worked like the one of a  two year old. Until six o'clock I scrolled down on the ninth floor's digital microfiche computer. The year 1938 excited me. I crept inside the world of events and sports. One might say I was in cruise control-or in God's hands the entire day.
   My trigger had been removed from my mind-that is until the number 901, or Coronado Bus dropped me off on First and Broadway. Below the court house and next to the curb slept a body. Dust covered it. It didn't even have a Ralph's shopping cart next to it. The walkers did not even stop or stare. They were immune to the sight of death.
   The sight of a dead man returned a trigger to my mind. I felt mad that our new City Mayor, the Honorable Folklore and ex-Mayor Sanders thought about placing a new football stadium inside the City of Denial, San Diego.
   I continued on my way, the burrito from Lolita's energizing me. It is my favorite restaurant next to the Library. I made it back to my little Broadway cell and turned over in bed. It was not just hot, but morbidly so. Somehow, I fell into a deep coma...only to be awakened by a phone call.

   "Dad, I was bitten by a bull dog. I tried to separate Oscar from the other dog. The bull dog had one month to live. Somehow, my hand got entangled in the other dogs teeth. It would not let go. I took two buses to get to Kaiser, and needed to wait all day for a doctor.
   Why in hell do you wish to break them up. You know better!
    "But Dad, it had only one month to live. And afterwards, Kaiser would not fill my prescription for the bite. They wanted your signature on a paper."
     But dear, I gave you the paper. Didn't you make a copy of it. And.....
      Her phone hung up. She released her trigger and hung up on the world. It is my daughter's way of taking a time out when events are beyond her control. Of course my trigger was set and cocked, but I took action and took the Trolley to Old Town. From there I drove to down Sport's Arena to Ralph's on the west side of the street.  and Ralph's. I needed a treat to relax my gun. I bought some black licorice, dried dates and a fried chicken breast.
     My trigger now removed, I returned to my hotel and went into a deep sleep. I forgot about dogs and thought about the ladies who had left me. I sorely need one to comfort me. (First draft)
     

No comments:

Post a Comment