Monday, April 21, 2014

It is Padre Baseball Time

I have taught my daughter to "go with the flow". Well I did that on Sunday afternoon and ended up at Dog Park, also known as Petco Park.
   The new library is only a skip and jump away on Eleventh Avenue. On this Sunday, the Librarian had gone looking for Easter eggs so it had to close. What a shame! "Yet,"  says I, " lets follow the noise and the crowd."
 I already had celebrated the Catholic Sabbath at Old Town's Immaculate Conception church, and the organ music remained in my ears. I walked to K Street and saw many buying tickets or waiting for somebody. It was humid and I needed a refreshment.
 The Dragon Bar on Tenth Avenue offered me a canned coke for two and change. I readily accepted the can and sat at a dark round table. Two gentleman   told me Frisco had come to town. The large T.V. told me the game had already begun.

  I had just picked up my canned drink when I heard a loud roaring roar, that climbed to a high note.  I looked at the T.V. Hell, the pitch had not been thrown. "Was it another earthquake about to hit," says I. I looked again at the large T.V. screen again.
  The outside noise had died down. On T.V. the batter hit a long one over the fence. I asked myself if "it was the same game." The two at the bar answered my question.
   "Sir, there is a five or ten second delay until the action is shown on T.V. I have duped and made money on those who bet against me. I know the sound of a home run particularly when the Giants are in town."
   "I bet Posey hit one out." I exclaimed. Sure enough the glue for the Frisco team did.
   I finished my coke and found a steel box to sit on. Fans were going in but the ones with sacks or purses had to go have them checked. The gate men prodded a thin stick inside their bags. Then they gave the OK to enter.
   A crotchety middle aged man cussed to himself. His was on a cell and hollering. "I told you where to meet me, gate K. Where in the hell are your. This became repetitious. His small round Mom came towards me to share the three o'clock shadow. She screamed at her son.
   "I told you never to date the Philippine women. She does not understand English. And besides, she is too skinny."
    "In another minute, we are going to get a taxi and return home!" Just then they connected and she removed herself from the bar to be with him. The thin one probably had latched onto another and was none too happy to be with the awkward gaited mothers boy.'
    A young teenager walked towards me. She stood looking at me. We struck up a conversation.
   "Is it always so humid here. I am from Frisco."
    "Wow. You are good looking. How old are you, eighteen perhaps?"
    "No I am thirty four and never have been married...Thanks for your offer of a tangerine but I am allergic."
    Her friends came and I left towards the ticket window..Their cheapest seat was eighteen dollars, and that was in the sand. (No finished.)

No comments:

Post a Comment