Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort

"It's a time share sir. The seventy thousand dollars is the cost for one weeks pleasure at the resort every year.You can will it to somebody, of course at the Carlsbad Inn." 
 "I love the view from the terrace. Has it been updated. I had no idea Inn covered a city block and its has so many rooms."  
"Yes, we renovated it, as you can see. Here's my card and brochure to reach me.
    I thanked both Yolanda and the manager. The large resort sits over the beautiful Pacific Ocean. It is at the intersection of Carlsbad Village and Carlsbad Drive Boulevard. I walked a few feet south and noticed that the famous Harbor Fish Restaurant now housed patrons outside. The catch of the day was a Salmon lunch for $17 and all of the trimmings.
   I moved further south and took up a perch on one of the four benches. The Pacific Ocean demonstrated its spring beauty. Below me members of the Carlsbad  Volleyball Club practiced sets. Not a cloud in the sky today with a pleasant on shore breeze. I had time to digest the Tuna on a Croissant sandwich from Linda's Ice Cream Store. My wet pants needed time to dry. I forgot to wear my Depends. Two ladies walked by. One stopped and eyed my baseball cap. At first I believed she was fishing for my phone number.
   "Sorry but the White Sox lost last night." She had an engaging smile and your typical beach wear: shorts and a hanging blouse to hide the middle age spread."
    "Miss, I stole the hat at the last San Diego Jazz festival, since somebody had taken mine. But I am writing about Alonzo Stagg and also 'Papa' Bear Halas. Here is my card.
   "Are you kidding me? As a kid, we always went to Stagg Field. He was an institution." We said our good-buys and I continued to soak up the rays. God could not have provided me with a better April day.  
   I returned to the intersection of the Two Carlsbad Boulevards. It now had a fancy traffic system. We now could walk diagonally across, instead of waiting for two lights. Where the famous Twin Inn's one stood had been taken over by a surfboard company and the  other the Water and Land Company. Yet the three story Victorian building still stood, but with mud in her eyes. 
  I walked into the now restaurant on the north side. A couple explained that the new owner borrowed the name of its original owner. She knew that in the nineteenth century, the Village began as a water stop. The purist of all waters was discovered before the Inn was built on its site.
  A sign at a corner reminded me the famous Carlsbad Art Festival would be coming next weekend. It would have to compete with Mexican Independence Day at Old Town.
  It is now almost two in the afternoon. I could not believe how beautiful Carlsbad was today. I thought about Edith and Harry. We stopped here for biscuits and chicken in the forties-that is if my Dad still carried change after wagering on horses at Old Del Mar, where the surf meets the surf. 
  And speaking about Del Mar, the track is getting a new suit of pants for the up-and-coming meet. I will be focusing on Del Mar in the weeks to come. 
  I finished my writing at the downtown Carlsbad Library. It is where I found my Ed, my 12 step sponsor, and also joined the North Counties Writer's group that met Monday mornings. 
  The end of the day was near. I felt too good today. I did not wish the perfect day to end. Short of change myself, I drove further south for fish and chips at Keno's.  A young man greeted me and took my order. 
 Give me the baked but not the fries.  "Do you want a salad?"
   "Does it come with the fish and chips?..OK then give me the dinner with house dressing."After the delicious meal, I drove to the commuter lot to wait for the five thirty Coaster train. I ate some of the over ripe locquats I stole from a lot earlier. 
   After dinner with the sun setting, I parked my car inside the Encinitas' Commuter lot and waited for the 784 Amtrak seven twenty train for all stops south to San Diego. 
   It is great to sleep, read or talk while the train is ambling along the Scenic highway.  
    
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment