Wednesday, June 18, 2014

What is Up Doc?

I finally saw the Kaiser Doctor at six o'clock. I had been battling a cold too-long. The month of May seemed more like August. My immune system took a direct hit. After I returned from the downtown new library, I decided to take action and end my bad cold.
  I drove Dolly down the eight and got off at the Mission Valley Kaiser, about three  miles from Old Town. The Mission Gorge off-ramp is not easy to navigate so watch the signs or you'll end up in Vegas on the 15. 
   Nurse Gonzales took me inside for the usual, a weight and blood pressure test. She seemed a  bit agitated. She strapped me into a rubber sleeve and began to cough and drink some liquid. It troubled me to hear her cough and drink, and repeat itself like a two-step-dance. She hit the button and the monitor looked at me.
   "Mr. Garrett, are you coughing a lot?..Do you smoke?...Ho much exercise are you getting?"
   Well anybody knows when a machine is taking your blood pressure, idle chatter can juice up your blood pressure, more so with the coughing and drinking.
    The monitor checked out at 155/100. With more coughing it registered 160/95. The Latina tried to lead me into a vacant room, but was beaten to the punch. I removed myself to the lobby and waited for an empty room.
   Then minutes later, a cute young doctor appeared. Her name was Carolyn and she told me she usually worked in Clairemont. She was covering for another doctor. She looked at the table top monitor. 
   "Looks like you had trouble with your inhaler. It says it broke down and you almost died."
   Yes, apparently during May when we had several fire storms, m spray got injured and wouldn't work. At Carlsbad, a pharmacist told me to clean the shell every week, and that to keep it in a cool place with clean air. 
   "Do you need another one." 
   No this one works. And did the nurse give you a paper for my YMCA hotel. My Doctor Foss wants them to provided an A/C for my room. 
    "You'll need to take that up with your doctor. I don't work here."
   I provided her with address of my hotel and told her to give it to the receptionist. I wished them to send it to my hotel. She checked my nose and throat, and took a swab. She seemed efficient. 
   "I am prescribing three medications. Take the steroid once a day. Also, the penicillin should be taking once a day also. The next one might make you nauseous so take only after food." 
    Since I don't wish to bore you, I will summarize the rest of the early evening. I thought it might be a one hour wait, so I left for the Hometown Buffet across the street. When I returned my prescription was ready for me. 
   I paid the co-pay of eighteen and out the door I flew. I downed two pills at once. An hour later, my lungs worked without effort. 

   I

No comments:

Post a Comment