Friday, June 20, 2014

Time to Buy an A/C.

Well, spring turns to summer tomorrow. I was time for to buy an air conditioner. I knew the new owners of the Y.M.C.A. wished me out, one way or another. Yet I had not paid for a grave site just yet. it was time to look for backward heaters-air conditioners. I looked on the Internet and found one of two Fry's electronics in San Marcus, a little hamlet between Escondido and Oceanside on the 78 freeway.
   I used my daughter's Father's Day $50 debit card. I ordered a steak and eggs at the Tip Top restaurant in Carlsbad. I felt happy to be alive-what with the fire storms and loss of my state retirement check. Yet nobody from the U.S. Mail has ever been fired for a mistake. They would have to kill somebody.  I asked a waitress how to get to Fry's. She didn't know but a man swallowing a sausage interrupted his breakfast to help me.
 "Just go on the #78 until you get to San Marcus Blvd. and turn right."
  I thanked the man and bused my plate. The Ranch Market, in back, had a sell on mangoes: two for three dollars. I plunked down three for two big juicy ones. About ten minutes later I found my way to Fry's, about the size of two Costco's. 
  Like the man said, after my right turn, a found the back entrance of Fry's. You could barely see the entrance. I asked one with a badge the location of a restroom. 
  "Come with me, that is where I am also going." Chuck sat in one stall and me next to his. We spoke about the recent fires in San Marcos. In between flushes, we spilled our guts out to each other. 
   I came here to buy an A/C unit. I was told the best buys are here at Fry's. 
   "Well south of us you'll see where too many homes had been burnt to the ground. The homes left standing came here during the fire storm to buy an air conditioner or fan. Make sure to go to Big John. He is in charge of our air-conditioners."
   "Here is my blog and think you'll like it." I handed the man with my other hand my card under the stall, washed my hand and looked for Big John Donnelly,  the A/C man. I couldn't miss him. He wore a white shirt, little hair, and big head to go with his hands. 
   Look'n for an A/C. I hope the Y will consider and let me put one in...Got a bad case of asthma...Mom smoked Kent's while pregnant with me and afterwards..
   'Join the club. I left Seattle after Mt. Helena blew up. While a thirty year old student at Washington University. I ate ash for a few weeks until it suffocated me. It felt like a snake had coiled around me. That is probably why I sell air conditioners today."
   Show me what you got and I will buy one and send customers to you. 
   "Well the cheapest window unit is $140. It is the one over there and is probably too big for your walk-in-closet cell at the Y. The mobile ones are about one hundred more a unit. We sold out after the big fire storms here...Remember I work on commission."
   From there I returned to the 78, but this time went west to the harried number 5. It was not rush time but already the freeways tangled up. I got to the Encinitas Center just in time to eat bread with all five of us. 
   I am now writing the above getting ready to put on my dancing shoes. The lunch area turns into a ballroom this afternoon at two o'clock. It is a Luau Dance and I already have a lay around my neck. Five dollars get you inside to hear the Cradit Union. Chips and dips are tabled at the intermission. Call (760) 943-2250 for the next dance. Usually they come on the third Friday of the month.) 
   

    

No comments:

Post a Comment