Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Li'l Oak Cafe


So Susan, what was it that turned you on to Sammy.
 "Well George, to be honest, nothing. Both of us lived in Upstate New York. Corning was the name of our town...But I met him at party my at my nursing college..He invited me to see Oklahoma-and the little theater had  it for three nights." Just then, Sammy butt in.
  "My Mom called me the night of the movie. She was coming up from Rochester to visit me, her only son. So I called Susie to cancel our date...." Susie interrupted.
  "And I forced you to take me anyway!"
  "That was the first time my Mom went on a date with me. Since I was her only son, she really didn't take a liking to you."
   The long legged couple sat down with Abe, Thomas and me at the usual Encinitas' cafe. a different lunch was served up at 11:30 but always with too much cheese.  I sat in for Lady Barbara who canceled at the last minute due to a bad back. I didn't particularly care for Enchiladas but at least my company gave me the spice I needed. The Jones, from Corning, New York sat down at our table, and of course I need to find out more about their marriage. I finished my cake, salad and milk and soaked them for information.
   Let me get you some coffee. But first Susan, what was it that turned you on to Sam?
   " Nothing, but I yearned to see Oklahoma at our small theater...We dated off and on while I studied to become a nurse..I began to enjoy our conversations and couldn't get enough of his curly red hair...And besides, he had a job!"
   Both had come down from New York after they sold their first home. The other was in Florida. He had originally come from Hammond, New York. He spoke about the first Navy museum established by a boy wonder by the name of Curtis. Sammy no longer had red hair but at least he had lots of grey. He wore white shorts that revealed ungainly white legs. All he needed was a Kramer tennis racket and white hat.
   "My little town of three hundred was made famous by a child genius He was the first to put a motor on his bike and take it for a ninety-mile-an-hour jaunt to another city...He helped to build our first naval aircraft command. His flying machine was called the Curtis. He had a hand in building the first flying ship. You wouldn't believe the museum we have there."
    They came to Encinitas to stay with their daughter. They had two others. But time flew and  they intended on playing bridge in the next room. I told them I would change their names and present them with what you are now reading.
    You never know who you'll meet at the Li'l Oak Cafe.  
   .

No comments:

Post a Comment