Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A Little Italy Saturday

I sat on India and Date Street happy to still be among the living. Food poisoning from a spaghetti dinner almost did me in. I did what my second daughter had told me. i bought a seven up and took a seat. It was the gigantic Farmer's Market in front of me. 
   Everywhere I smelled the scent of flowers. Flappers crossed Date Street carrying Lilies, Roses and many other types of flowers. Each carried a high bread dog attached to a leach. North of me, another Southwest flew over the buildings descending on Lindbergh Field. Today's City Father's renamed it the San Diego International Airport -- a BIG MISTAKE. 
   I knew then Little Italy would become my next home, and hopefully the next for my daughter. It reminded me of Convent Garden, London, where Eliza Doolittle sold flowers for a shilling or two in the musical My Fair Lady. I felt like dancing but my sick stomach would not allow it today. 
   Almost a hundred years ago, many Italian fisherman made this village their home. Their fishing boats lay in the Harbor and they made a great living. Many lost their lives taking their boats to supply our ships in the Pacific. Some of their offspring stopped fishing in favor of flavorful Italian cuisine. Small tiles commemorate their lives. 
  Love was in the air. A steady ten mile breeze opened up my clogged lungs. It felt great to be alive, at least for another day. The smell of food was everywhere. The locals did their shopping today where every type of food could be purchased. 
   Kiddie Corner from me I heard some soul music. I slowly carried myself to a Little Italy chair that sat in the shade. The soul singer and sax player made me feel New Orleans could not be far away. I finished my Seven Up and decided to roam around the busy street. Tents and vendors covered Date Street today. I smelled something that smelled like almonds. 
   Sure enough ahead of me a vendor gave samples of almond humus. I dipped a few chips inside the spread and swallowed some. I knew I would be back next week since my pockets did not have a penny on them today. 
   It was now about two o'clock and I sauntered back to my Y cell on Broadway. My body needed time to rest. I began to hum, "I have often walked down this street before..." (Not edited yet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment