Wednesday, June 25, 2014

San Diego City Council Meeting

Long, elegant long black pointed heals took up the seats at the San Diego's Tuesday morning meeting. The ladies must have gone to a beauty salon the day before the morning meeting. .
    I settled back in my chair. I made sure my named was on the public speakers agenda. It was my first time at a council meeting in over over two years. Two years ago I spoke about my need for an air conditioner. Today I would do a repeat, but with one difference, no longer do I have a  trigger or react to bureaucrats.
   A deluge of black police officers took up the aisles. I wondered who was minding the streets outside.  Each hugged and swarmed over each other like Spawning Salmon. Could this be a Baptist revival meeting?  Over fifty blue shirts flooded the chambers. They had come to honor two retiring officers,  Lieutenant James Filley and Captain Tony McElroy.
  To an outsider, it reminded me of the tea party in Alice in Wonderland. I wondered if even Obama might show up. Everywhere they  hugged, exchanged cards, and spoke about the new retirees -- that is all except me. A soon-to-be seventy five- I was too young to retire.
   I wanted to know why Gloria's secretary never got back to me, and why they gave us at the 500 building a 60 day termination notice. The new Egyptian owners never introduced themselves. They fired the building engineer and the Thomas Cartwright. The new owners celebrated by having a barbecue in the patio area of the old YMCA. An off balance billiard table has been placed in the lobby as was a box of cheep yellow glasses.
   I had arrived at nine o'clock and was the first speaker on the public agenda. Nothing could bother me today and I dropped the microphone and spoke up. I showed a piece of a dusty filter and inquired why it was impossible to get an A/C. Of course I knew the answer: Mr. Hem and Haw
   I felt sorry for the public who spoke after me. Three grammar school kids produced a DVD that showed an unsafe pedestrian walkway. Many from a middle school named Monroe Something spoke about a pot or cigarette shop across the street. And an apartment owner wished to know why a bus stopped every five minutes in front of her apartments and belched out fumes.
   Of course for me the main problem was global warming and to stop the planes from flying over my head at night. Even Counsil memberAlvarez appeared to have asthma, the leading cause of death in San Diego.
   But for me I took delight that I lived long enough to watch my two grandchildren come into this world. And just as important, to leave a DVD of my family that goes back to the forties.

 Nuts and bolts from San Diego: There will be more red flag alerts and we saw just a preview in May, the merry-month-of-May. Why not have electric cars park free in downtown and give San Diego a three day work week. Monitors throughout the city should show the air quality each day. 

    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment