Friday, March 21, 2014

San Diego has Talent

"Sir, I have some extra dental floss. Please take this." A gorgeous blond with immaculate white teeth faced me at the Balboa Park's Hall of Champions cafe. I had been pouring over my Chuck Yeager book and waiting for my three dollar chili bowl to cool.
  "I really don't need it, but thank you. I lost most of my teeth the last couple of years so no longer use them. Too bad I didn't use them a long time ago."
  The heavy set blond did not budge. She stood looking at me. I knew she probably came for the security convention here. Over one hundred well dressed patrons had gathered along with exhibitors of the latest devices.
  Well like most of my chats, one thing leads to another and off I go. "Your teeth are perfect and so white. You must have been born with a tooth brush in your hand."
  "Well all of them have been capped. My parents were alcoholics and never raised me. One of my six sisters did, and she turned out great. I worked on the interior of old cars until I could not live with my parents in Boston anymore"
  "I drove to Santa Barbara and took care of older people in exchange for their garage. I met my husband while he sold insurance. Later I saw him again and we married. Unlike other law enforcement men, he was calm."
  She spoke about the Salinas Valley and it produces more wine than the Napa Valley. The mother of three daughters invited me to her home in Salinas where her husband serves as the Police Chief. The rest of what she told me was private. In any case, I wished to get to the San Diego Talent Show and see if anybody had better talent than your writer-they did, and-how.  
 The five dollars admission fee provided me with one hundred dollars worth of entertainment. Over two hundred old folks paid and got their moneys worth. The event took place at the Balboa Park Club house where I take my ballroom dancing lessons.
 There were about twenty acts. It was not the singing but the tape dancing of these stars that excited me. Now I wish to take tap dance lessons. It was La Jolla's Peggy Padilla's tap dancing shoes that  stole the show. How in God's name could anybody dance that way-why at her age? Now there's one gal I would like to marry. Just maybe she could teach me a lesson or two.
  One act featured a comedy routine as a promo for the San Diego Follies in June. I could not get over how perfect and well conditioned their bodies looked. The Follies are coming in June, and what you didn't see today you can later when June will be busting out all over.
   My fingers itched to do their tape dance on the San Diego's Library computers. And I never deny my fingers when they have the itch to write. The number 7 bus took me down below where I transferred on a Blue Trolley for the library. i spent two hours there before returning to the 'Y". But the day would never end.
  At five thirty I rode the five thirty Coaster to Encinitas. I needed to see the twilight sun go down and maybe get in a game of volleyball or two. I didn't get to play but got a relaxed ride home on the Amtrak out of :Los Angeles.
  It was and end to a perfect San Diego Day. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment