Friday, March 28, 2014

A Lion's Club Dance.

The 8 Freeway was a breeze. No stop and go at any time. I made it to my College turn off in a few minutes. The crop of ladies at the Lions Club did not look too appealing to me. Of course I might have looked the same to them.
   I guess as we climb towards one hundred, our faces shrink but our noses and ears stick around. Now the beautiful red lip stick stands out like a mustard on a blue shirt. It is almost seven o'clock and the Moon Light Sonata Orchestra is ready to play. On the right corner sits a gal I recognize. She is one of the few that still as a face to go with her frame. I decided to walk toward her. She sees me and stand up.
   In my thirties, all these beasts looked appetizing. But what must I resemble to them. No more do I look like Robert Redford or a blue eyed baby. So what! I am still alive, ain't I?
   "Hi George. So glad you could make it. I am delighted to dance with you." The orchestra played a Salsa number even though their piano player did not show up. My ears needed to hear the piano as some dame took over the keys without any rhythm.
   "Sorry George. Is your foot OK?" Marian's left foot stepped on my right one."
   To hell with my foot. Can you look at me rather than your feet. Am I bad looking? Do you think that I will eat you?
   "No but I have to see where you are going. I wish to keep in step with you." At that point she looked up at me, finally. She had a gorgeous face, a bit wrinkled but what does one expect for one reaching good old 70. I wrapped my arms around her and felt lumps in the right places. I told myself to calm down and control myself.
   During intermission I sat down with her. So I won't bore my bloggers, I will summarize what she told me. I love to find out about people.
   'I was born in San Francisco in the early forties. We moved to Ocean Beach. It did not have as many hippies then. At four, my Mom and Dad divorced. It felt depressed for a long time Mom took me to the skating ring on the weekends. The Movie theater was on  Newton Street.
   "Mom loved to play South Pacific on our record player. I loved to hear her sing. A few beach goers got too close to the cliffs and drowned. The tide pools excited me. I could find various shells and other sea creatures."
     "Marian, did you ever marry?"
   "Yes, to a Navy flier. He went to Vietnam and was hit by Agent Orange. He lived with cancer for five years. My son was killed in a car accident, but I am lucky to have a step daughter and also a daughter. When not baby sitting, I am learning to play bridge and take yoga to relax."
   "Oh yes, I lived two years in Japan and that is where I got my spiritual qualities"
   We danced a few more numbers and I gave her my card with my E mail. After dancing, I felt alive and ready to tackle life again. An easy drive back on the 8 led me to my free parking place in Old Town. I love taking the rails back to downtown from there I am getting used to the smell of real people.
    I slept in this morning. I am looking forward to another dance with Marian.

No comments:

Post a Comment