Sunday, March 16, 2014

When Al met Henry Ford

'I met Mr. Ford at their assembly plant at Denver, Colorado in 1936. I began to drive a Ford away and take it to our showroom in Blanca, about ninety miles from Denver. I was about sixteen at the time. Our Blanca dealership had too many troubles with cars just off the freight cars. The cars had too many dents and other problems. I recognized him just as I was pulling away with a new Ford."
   "How you doing Mr. Ford.?"
   "Call me Henry!"
    Again I am at the Rectory of the Immaculate Conception Church in Old Town. For  new guests to my blog, Al Weaver spoke about his life fixing cars  in Blanca, Colorado. He was sixteen when he met Mr Henry Ford. We shared donuts and talk at the Catholic Rectory right next to the old church. I had been sketching his live now for several months.
   At our corner table are Max, Leonard, Arnold and of course 92 year old Mr. Allen Weaver. To remind you, his Dad wished him to farm their field but he had been inclined to fix and maintain the tractors and other equipment on the farm. I witnessed an earlier story about how he developed a gadget to save the gears on the first Old's transmission. My Dad was good also in fixing things and blew a gasket anytime I got out of line.
   The dealer and me came into this factory every month to pick up at least two Fords and drove them back to his own dealership. Mr. Ford always was there to greet me and he seemed like a swell man to talk to.
     "Now I know Al that the new transmissions had been developed in 1938. But what were the gears like in the old cars"
    "There were four floor pedals:one for first gear, a middle one and one four third. The last peddle was for reverse. The Denver plant added the extras to the car such as the radio and floor and seat covers. The new Ford outclassed the Old's."
   We were interrupted by Dave. I had met him an hour earlier after our eight thirty Mass with Father Peter presiding. He wished to know who Father Serra was and of course I had the answer.
   "He was sent here by Spain to build missions up and down California. He wished to make sure the state stayed in Spanish hands and colonize and Baptiste the Indians. The many fruit trees you see here in Old Town Father Serra brought over from Spain...Where you from?
   "Green Bay and here with my wife for one more day."
   "Join us for coffee, donuts and bagels next door."
   He joined our table and after introductions spoke about his earlier career with Mobile Gas. Now he was a consultant for docks and marinas in the Great Lake area. He was from the sister city of Green Bay, called De Pere.  Since he docked here, I will not interrupt the engineer. .
   "I got my degree from Hawaii University and worked for Mobile Oil building their stations. Before the oil embargo, I put up stations faster than anybody. I also needed to convert the lead Ethel gas into unleaded. However, there was a quota on how much gas Mobile obtained. It depended on our supply number a year earlier."
   "Where did they get the term Ethel.?"
    "It was Standard Oil that came up with it. Ethel got a bad rap since it lead caused cancer. The lead was needed, however, for the durability of the engine. Standard wished to calm the nerves of American drivers with a  ladies name. Today, the engine rods and pistons are coated with an alloy that maintains these parts without the need for lead."
   "I remember another chemical that caused cancer. Women painted it on new watches so they would glow in the dark. Many came down with skin cancer."
   "What is going to happen with all of that ice on Lake Superior.?"
   'The weather will not go above fifty in the early summer. The large ice flow will certainly affect the weather." His wife showed up and was eager to set sail in a different direction I said "Good-by" to Mr. David Wentland, P.E.  and returned to our table. My friends had left so I cleaned.
   Mr. Harry Chertkow, a a late comer reminded me to use his name if the bedbugs were not taken care of in my hotel. "And as far as having only one running elevator, an inspector should be called."
   I returned on the Green Line Trolley and got off at the India station. I needed to buy some Hydocortisone for my itchy leg. The pharmacist insisted that I wear pajamas from now on with knee-high socks.

 Nuts and bolts for today: "Nothing has changed in my life-except me, and those around me"
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment