Sunday, March 23, 2014

Balboa Park Dance Class-I got it!

"You can't play the piano!" The toothless security guard said it twice.
 "Why if was thirty years younger I would knock the rest of your teeth out of your mouth! But I am smart enough to know it just ain't worth it." No longer in a serene mood, to quit the Steinway and take my legs into the Balboa Bay dance hall. Twilight on Fridays my dance lessons began at seven o'clock. Now I would only need three dollars since I had joined a few weeks earlier.
  I had visited Prado's Happy Hour meal an hour earlier. The coffee's caffeine did the trick. My bronchial tubes were now in action. I could breathe. For twelve dollars I had treated myself to popcorn shrimp, fries and also two cups of strong coffee. I needed to reboot my air filter so spring time's allergies would not get the best of me.
   The computer played a few waltzes and tango when the first lesson began. Swivel-Man Steve was my teacher. Tonight the blue shirt on black pants would continue with our March lessons of Salsa and Foxtrot. The lessons began and soon the piano man was forgotten. He showed us a new move. We did a quick two step wiggle forward and back and finally stop. I got it! I got it!
   "Now get a partner." The women stood on one side of the room and we faced them. This time three ladies came at me. I chose the less feminine so to concentrate better. I did not wish to get to excited with the other two. The thin Japanese lady laughed each time our legs became so tangled we could not continue. Later I found out the damsel's name was Toon.
   My body became hot with excitement and the joy of learning the steps of the Fox Trot. Now Cup Cake announced  "One more minute" for the lesson. Then live music began for a few minutes and I put my new steps into practice After a short water break, we  began to learn the Salsa. The underarm swing gave me a few problems but at the end of the second session, I did it. Again, I found myself dancing with Mrs. Toon. She was a real good sport with a perpetual smile.
  The lessons had begun at seven and at eight thirty, free dancing began. Straight ahead I caught sight of Betty. I had danced with her a few weeks earlier. She was a tall vivacious blond with a perpetual smile.
  "Well I am not sure about the Tango."
  "Don't worry, we can struggle together." We dance several dances.
  "I saw you George in Encinitas. You did not see me." Her sexy moves energized me. I could have dance forever. I invited her to Prado's next week. I had to go and catch the trolley. Oh yes the security guard was outside with a cigarette in one hand and a phone in the other I can't remember when I had been so excited. I hoped to have more run-ins with Betty since  I am in the market for a mate.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment