Monday, March 24, 2014

Dr. Livingston I Presume

"Dr. Livingston I presume?"
 I had been dancing with Mrs. Toon when I turned left instead of right. The tall Korean's name tag said Dr. Lee. We faced each other cheek to cheek. He gave me a quizzical look and  asked my name.    Over forty years ago while a member of a Book-of-the-Month club I read a book about two African explorers. One was named Dr. Livingston. I could only surmise the tall Korean had made our bumping into each other a jest-full comment. Hell what else could this rigid well mannered gentlemen say when I had interrupted his lesson?
   It was Sunday evening and again I had marshaled my resources to drive to the Balboa Park's Balboa Bay Ballroom. I had taken a one hour nap and picked up a energy drink at the nearby Seven Eleven. My blood pressure had cascaded down to 110/170 that morning. The lower blood pressure decreased stress and gave all of my organs a chance to rest.
   One fourth of the patrons were Korean. Whereas the Koreans have three or four letters to their name, the Japanese have eight or nine and begin with a 'W' or 'Y'. My how Toon and Wong doted over me-why you would have thought I was their baby. I danced with a few others who won their Army stripes dancing with me. I just have to listen to the music. Thinking the steps does not work for me.
Over two hundred showed up tonight and I wondered why San Diego's hotels offer ballroom dancing. It was probably against the codes. Just maybe the old Sports arena could be rehabbed into a ballroom for dancing.
   This Friday the Balboa Ballroom will be dark and the last Fox Trot and Salsa lessons will be taught Sunday. Earlier on Sunday, you may wish to listen to the Spreckles organ at two o'clock and then go for a few food dips at the Prado restaurant.  For me, the violin soloist beside the Lily Pond fulfills my needs for serenity. The other day a party of twenty loaded up his violin case with lost of loose change.
   For newcomers to the Friday and Sunday evenings classes, they begin at seven and have beginning, intermediate and advance lessons going on simultaneously. While you learn, all of your trouble will be replaced with laughter, the touch of another, and most of all music.
 
   The San Diego Follies tickets are now on sell. Tickets range from $20 to $40. They will perform from June 19-22, 2014. Visit sandiegofollies.com for information.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment