Tuesday, March 11, 2014

More with Horst Cahn

I want to tell you something. The other day I went to Von's. An employee walked up to me and asked, "Did you find what you were looking for?'
  "I told him 'No'. She would not come with me." 
   Again we meet at the Oak Cafe in Encinitas. Lady Barbara is not in attendance, probably because of chronic back trouble. So today, I honed in on Cahn - and that was easy. The only time his mouth stops is at the dentist when the good doctor tells him "to open wide."
   Even Ellen can't get over how great Horst looks, the only living survivor of a Auschwitz camp at 88. I sat down next to him and allowed him to spill more about his life. I knew the persons, places and things have a chance to outlive us-only if I write them down.
   "After the war, a Czech farmer took me in. i weighed only eighty pounds then. I met the love of my life there, Gezel Kleinnot.. We married and stayed there for two years-long enough for the birth of our first born, David. David today is a teaching doctor who lives in Buffalo. We crossed the border and lived in  East Munich for a few years. I worked for as a tailor for Mr. Westerhamor. We became the best of friends." 

   The roast beef was coupled with a baked potato. Alongside to ease the digestion were broccoli, and cauliflower. Horst ate everything except the baked potato. I did not order but still got a nice looking dish for a few bucks. 
   Linda came to the front on ice cream day. Buckets of ice cream with chocolate syrup and nuts sat on a long back table. My taste buds went into action. I had placed my stomach on hold after I made the error of eating just before my bed time. 
   "George I want to tell you something. I went to a restaurant and found the meet too fatty to eat. My false teeth told me they wanted out, and they had the nerve to speak to me. 'Now you can eat it'."
   Again, you can hear and see God's miracle survivor at Oceanside High School on the eighth of April. He will be there five hours. "Do you know they will pick me up in the morning and take me to my five hours there. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment