Friday, March 14, 2014

A Day with Cruis'n George

The Blue Line Trolley had a few passengers inside. A lone hooded man slept soundly in the rear-no doubt from four in the morning. Another man caned on board the trolley. He huffed and puffed while he spoke into his cell phone.
   "That good-for-nothing. In no way can he send that kid to his grandfather! Hell, he already had kicked him out several times. Got to get off the phone. Need to call somebody." The heavy set man with a short cut for his bright white hair caned down to leave the trolley. To my right an old prominent building stood out on Fifth Avenue. Advertised on the outside wall was horse racing at the Caliente Race Track. The Mexican track had long been dark.
   I trolley advance east towards Park before it swiveled south towards the new San Diego Library. I got off on Market and noticed two white helmets. An outside sign advertised "Market, Bar, and Restaurant to open soon". I leaned in and a worker told me the super was outside and the building "belonged to the school around the corner."
   I found one of the owners and gave him my card. I walked around the corner since I had time. The library would open in ten minutes at nine thirty. Two students were having a light and a large man began to enter. I asked him about the Thomas Jefferson School of Law. 
   "I was a cop and entered the school two years ago. It had been here about three years and earlier it had planted itself in Old Town. Besides Law, they help with the veterans and several other things. I will e mail you with what we do"
   Inscribed on his card was Criminal Law Fellow and J.D Candidate. His deep, clear and intelligent voice supported the etchings on his George Washington pictured card.
  My day advanced as usual. I arose at three for my early morning shower. I carried my Bic razor, and white towel and limped slowly down the hall to one of the 'Y's unisex bathrooms. I had used the same razor  for over one month. I speak to Him in the shower while I shampoo my face in the shower before my Bic razor has its turn.  I just love taking a long shower at the 'Y' at three.
   I return and take a quick snooze before turning on my light by my side. This morning it is Dickens' Oliver Twist. Like my shaver, I can't get over how easy the story penetrates my mind. I guess I have felt like Oliver many times in my life-hungry for love.
   At about six o'clock I removed my last two eggs and potted them with water at the second floor kitchen. I returned to remove my apple jelly and two slices of onion bread and returned. I sat and watched two men look for cans inside the dumpster and another relieve himself against the wall. I call it Pissers Corner. 
   After breakfast I returned to my room but my walk stalled.  Two penguins could not get ice from the machine. I showed them.
   Where you from?
   "We are from Minnesota and are Amish."
   I had seen twenty of these Penguins come into the 'Y' last afternoon. I could not get over how happy they seemed and now four of them could sleep in one room-two doors from me. Wow what a simply fantastic life.
    Wait. let me give you my business card. You have a computer?
    "No we don't." After a few tries the sensor key allowed them a bathroom visit. Obvious to me they had never seen a sensor key.

  Nuts and Bolts for today: Keep things simple, and when trouble comes up, get out of your way. 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment