Saturday, February 1, 2014

A Ferris Wheel for San Diego

"You must move on this fast. The Port Authority gave me the go-ahead. I've contact the people to bring the amusement here, and it will be located next to the Convention Centers,  Hilton Hotel. We can give you the whaling concession."
   I heard the conversation while reading  Bleak House by Charles Dickens at the  the Sheraton Hotel wondering why it took me long to get involved in his story when I overheard the above conversation. The other gentleman now spoke,  not to be overshadowed by the first.
  "The man who had the concession is not renewing his lease. I can show the tourists the whales at sea now."
  "We should have no problem getting the permits. The attraction will be next to the Convention Center extension."
  I turned around, and saw them walk out the rear door of the hotel. There were two couples walking towards the midway Marina parking lot.  
  
   Like the Ferris wheel, my mind was spinning around and around. I have never felt so much excitement in all of my life. Earlier, I had played a few songs on the Encinitas grand piano. A lady with a wheel chair interrupted my performance.
   "How long did you take lessons...I love your playing." Reluctantly I stopped and thanked her.
   I took piano lessons for six months, and I love to share my enjoyments with others.
   '"Now you play music I can enjoy. The rap music of today makes noise."
   I played Don't Cry for me Argentina, Memories and a few Sinatra hits.A few gals clapped when I walked to table 5.
   Abe was missing, apparently still in the hospital. I sat next to Lady Barbara who was getting over a tooth extraction. I mentioned the name of George Schultz, who once was on the Board of Directors of Bechtel Corporation.
   "That man hated me. I think it was him who wished to send my husband Jay to Saudi Arabia. And his wife, from the family of Motts hated me. At all of our gatherings at Romona, she never said one word to me."
   What do you think of our president?"
   "He is a communist and controlled by the Mott family."
  Another lady lashed out at us for speaking politics.  told us no to talk politics, and I complied.
   After the Sheraton episode, it was time for me to go the Immaculate Conception church and its Rectory. After I parked my car in the Old Town commuter lot, I walked towards the church. I welcomed a healthy appetite and found my eight dollar ticket for the Philippine meal.
  I ate with Al Weaver who told me there would be some changes in his biography. 
 




    
.

No comments:

Post a Comment