Thursday, February 20, 2014

Facebook- What's Up Dock!

I am sitting reading my complimentary USA at Starbucks inside the Harbor Sheraton Hotel. The headlines read, "Why Facebook Went So Big on Whats App".
   Still woozy from a tooth extraction, I could not believe Facebook needed even more - what with those living in Tent City San Diego screaming for a dime or two. Many Park their tents and sleeping bags against the fences on Park Blvd. It is close to their daytime home, the library.
   Yes, Heir Zuckerberg plucked down 16 billion for the company. Why isn't enough enough!! What effect what 16 billion have on our homelessness situation in San Diego. At least I can write about our uneven playing field where the rich get richer and the poor line up for free donuts in Petco Park.
   It is eight o'clock. I leave my seat, holding my coffee and go to the restrooms. The fat man ahead of me opens and closes the door in my face. He seems in a hurry. I walk and stand next to him in urinal two. I begin to speak to him.
   "Did you hear about the Facebook acquisition. They paid billions for a company in Europe."
   "I have not picked up the paper yet. I did hear their stock had gone down." With my free hand I removed my blog card from my back pocket.
    "Here take my card and read my blog about Facebook today."
   "Ah..Ah.." He finally removed his free hand to receive my card. The jolly old man - my age washed and looked at my card.
   I had a date with the new San Diego Library. It opens at nine thirty on Wednesdays. I walked over to my parked car in the Harbor Marina parking lot. The two mile drive down Harbor to the Pacific Highway took me a few minutes. While I waited for Mr. Green Line Trolley to take me to the Imperial station, a distraught man who sat next to me asked me a question.
   "Will my Compass card get my on the Coaster. I need to get to Riverside."
    "Is that the eighteen dollar one. It is good only on the buses and trolleys. You need to purchase a disabled ticket from the machine over there."
     He returned and thanked me. I told him to buy the Metro-Link ticket in Oceanside to get him to Riverside. "It is ten dollars all day. The Coaster will be here in thirty minutes. In another hour, you can even take the Amtrak 10;40 all the way - and maybe to Riverside with the same ticket."
     Mr Green came and I climbed aboard. The New York Times kept me company until the trolley kicked me out at the Imperial station. From there, I walked across to the library. A large number of the latest number of modern cars had parked at Petco Park. It almost looked as if the Padres season had already begun.
   I found out later that there was invitation only event on the ninth floor - for San Diego educators. I tried to crash it without much success.

   I must confess it feels good to write without pain. There was noise on the fifth floor. A touring group of students came to interrupt my thoughts. Across from me a gentlemen burped and passes some gas. They allow eating in the library. The students on the field trip turned my computer off. 
 
   
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment