Saturday, February 22, 2014

Meet Mr. Nobody

 Is that you Mr. Nobody? I didn't recognize you. You have lost a lot of weight! What is going on?
    I first met James  almost three years ago inside the YMCA restroom. Many homeless flooded into the "Y"'s bathroom in the mornings to do their toilet. They clutch a free coffee on their way out. I had left the second stall and was washing my hands. I heard some loud-out-of-tune Baptist music from the bigger stall. The smiling one emerged.
    Good morning. How are things going and what is your name.
    With the same unconditional smile , he sang out the word, "Mr. Nobody". 
   Why I say my good man. You must have a Christian name...Come on now.
   'Well you can call me James." Now the opening line occurred a night ago after I had returned with my nightly meal over looking the Harbor. (I shun restaurants in favor of a Ralph's chicken breast and onion rings - along with dried figs and some fruit.)
   "Iz that you George. Seen ya dancin the other night. You's a good writer you know."
    So what has happened. You have lost a ton of weight.
   "Iz given up the drink. My folks in Memphis prayed for me to stop. No more does I drink beer and wine together. Instead I wish to 'F...' as many gals I can."
   So you have given up booze for women now. Take my advice. Learn to love yourself first and have a relationship with Him first.
   "Well I only half believe in God. Dose women are only good for one thing."
   Do you still live on C Street in back of the Seven Eleven?
   "No i gotta good place now. It is in Balboa Park. I still work a little bit. Yous still look good. Can't believe your age."
 
  We parted. I screamed "Mr. Nobody" out loud. It felt great to see my friend doing so well. Mr Nobody is featured in my sketches of San Diego. It will be released before the Balboa Park Centennial in 2015.   
  
  

    I
    
     

No comments:

Post a Comment