Sunday, February 2, 2014

Horst Cahn - Table 5

 This writer has been going to Table 5 now for about six months. We break bread, eat, and speak about yesterday's left overs. I sometimes ease drop and get my own nourishment, memorable stories of yesteryear.
  With his pink cap and matching pants, Cahn stode into Encinitas Oak Cafe looking like a million dollars. He said 'Hello" to everyone. His stories, and those of Lady Barbara will be lost unless written down. You never know what eatables will come out of his mouth.
   "My Hebrew name is Arie Ben David which means Son-of-Lion. I want to tell you something.
 My friend Max had trouble getting the women. I asked him about it."
 He told me a story about a dog. "My dog always tried to catch a certain truck, but had trouble. When he caught up with the truck one lucky day, he did not know what to do with it...And so it is with women.
   No matter what the occasion, Horst always trumps the other stories always with a "I want to tell you something." He may be the only one still alive from Auschwitz Camp Buna.
   "We began with about 4000 at the camp. The Germans used me to fix things like light bulbs. Instead of fixing all the bulbs I sold them to unsuspecting Germans. No matter what, I could always make something out of nothing."
   "I sent a letter to the  Washington Holocaust Museum. Their return letter stated to their knowledge, I was the only one still alive."
    Horst eats primarily salad and watches his weight. He loves good restaurants and good music. He dresses like he would be going to the turf clubs at Del Mar. Nobody believes he is 88 years young. He is not own one shy cell in his body and is proud he wears his badge on his arm. 
    "One lady in a car told me the Holocaust never happened. I wanted to hit her but didn't. I give speeches to different schools now and then."
    Now Cahn is bored and moves to another table to bother the ladies. He is always on the go, no matter where he is. 
    About five years ago, San Diego's paper the UT gave him a front page spread, and I do mean spread. But for me the real story lies at Table 5 in the Encinitas Cafe. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment