Sunday, February 16, 2014

It Begins at Early Mass

Sundays, sweet Sundays begin at an earl Mass in Old Town. The Catholic Conception church is located across from the tourist trolley station  No I am not Catholic and was circumcised by a Jewish Rabbi. Yet my delivery doctor's name was Rooney at the old Vincent Hospital in downtown Los Angeles. Since you are ask I weight eight pound and four ounces and was born under the sign of the Lion in 1939.
   There is something about church bells and organ music that puts me in a trance. The #567 Amtrak deposits me at the Old Town station."Have a good day George. I wish to go to church with you someday." That is my sweet conductor. She knows I reserve a place for God on Sunday's.
    I go under the five freeway bridge onto the ground of Old Town. The old church built on the holy grounds of the first church has a sentry before it. An mighty Oak is entwined with a Eucalyptus tree. The church is filled again but I find a space in the back.
    It has got to be the hymns that have been sung for centuries. In any case, I feel close to God. My body sways like a cobra when the organist plays a tune....The only hitch is I can't understand the Father today. Like most South Pacific Islanders, he makes a "d" sound for every "th" and short "i" sound for every "e'. He labors through the sermon. (I will train his tongue this year.)
   No longer does it amaze me that Christianity has survived over two thousand years. Every sinner is allotted many chances for redemption - unlike my religion.We do it once a year while they can do it every day. at teh end everyone eats a thin crusty cookie that is supposed to be from His body.
   "You are all invited next door for donuts and coffee. It will give the out of town people a chance to meet with us...The gift shop is open on President's day and we have a Wednesday Mass for our dearly departed one."
   I enjoy breaking two donuts with my friends at table one. I will change their names today. Benny speaks about Ted William today. "I lived a few houses down from Ted's house. A large crowd of people always gathered at his place.
   "I knew his Mom quite well. She was church going and a Salvation Army worker. He supported his drinking and poker playing brother. George, in the fifties, San Diego had lots of poker parlors."
   Are you sure Benny?
   "Yes my Dad used to attend all of them."
   At that point, Benny took my coffee cup for a refill.
he.
   Alex spoke then about the Mayor's election in San Diego. "I'm glad that the Democrat didn't get in. Thank God Obama support took votes away from him. One senator wishes to sue Obama."
  You mean have a state referendum? Not a bad idea. That Obama care is turning into a catastrophic law. Young kids are just ignoring it.
   Then it was time for me to go to Encinitas. My toothless mouth had stopped its bleeding. I took another Amtrak train north. Miss Conductor recognize me. "I see you are back Mr. Trouble. No don't show me your pass. Goin to Encinitas.again." This conductor sings out every stop. I enjoy having a musical train 

No comments:

Post a Comment