Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Secret


To save money, I sleep, free of charge, at the Aliso Rest Stop located a mile north of Oceanside. Cramped inside my Cavalier, it is difficult to move so I take a sleeping pill to forget the pain for lack of space. With my disabled license plate, I can park all night and have use of their restrooms. 
  There are bathrooms, a telephone box, and food dispensary in the center of the grounds. It is a treat to watch the food court in the middle of the grounds. I do enjoy watching the sun go down and wake up in the morning -- that us if there is no fog. The dispensary sells everything from candy, nuts, drinks, and of course birth control items. . 
    The truckers park on the north side of the grounds and the cars the south. The sound of the grinding truck motors signal me it is time to leave the rest stop and head to my favorite restaurant, Dennis. 
   I must go an off-ramp or two to turn around and go south. Two miles away is Dennis and my excitement heightens with the thought of pancakes and sausages to ward off the cold chill- even though I use a converter. I tailgate a truck who also gets off at the Mission Blvd off-ramp. In front of me is Dennis and a Mobile station. It is about seven o'clock. 
   "What can I get you sweety?" 
    "What about the pancake special that includes sausages and eggs?..Is the Coffee fresh?" 
     "Just made a new batch. Do you wish cream and sugar?" 
     "Great!" 
   I go to their mirror-less restroom to shave a freshen up. At times I even change my sticky underwear. I comb my hair and get ready for my breakfast. Why the smell of the fresh coffee is worth the bill of fare. Two doused Marines from enter and drop inside a booth. two old bearded gents sleep one off. 
  I eat ever-so slowly to allow my taste buds to awaken. My body jumps as the food intake wakes all organs up. The combination of meat, eggs, and pancakes make today worthwhile. Afterwards I get ready to return to the Five and make it to Carlsbad. One can see the Motel Six from the freeway. To the right is another  Denny's and its sister, the Motel Six. And its is not by mere chance they co-exist next to one-another. 
   At six in the morning I arrived. The desk clerk gives me the card key to #229, a rear unit that backs up to Grand Blvd.  Jittery from sleep deprivation, It feels like heaven watch T.V. and shut my eyes for an hour. After a leisurely hot shower, I decided to visit Ron's across the street for a haircut. Ron's Barber Shop is a taste of Americana. 
  I wanted to look my best so a haircut and new pants were placed on my agenda.  As usual, a few old geezers like me spoke about baseball or major events in their lives at Ron's Barber shop. But I felt dizzy so Ron suggested a breakfast at Denny's.
   The breakfast gave me the pick up I sorely needed. At about ten o'clock, I visited the senior center to write and get help from Toni. I had used JPG program and wished to become a the Picasso of picture art.  Besides, my son-in-law told me "pictures sell books. It felt great learning a little each time but sorely missed having a full time paid tutor.
    I did not sign up for the Encinitas' Senior lunch but Abe donated half of his sandwich. Target was my next stop down the hill. I bought a cheap slim pair of pants and a raspberry slush. The dance had already begun and the DJ was music in my ears.
   These Wednesday dances are held at the Midas Industrial Park. It is off of Encinitas Blvd and the ballroom resembled a large office. There are refreshments, a DJ who plays 50's and 60's music and lots of hot old dames. But don't allow the wrinkles to fool you. Some are alive.
    To get there go east on Encinitas Blvd past the Smart and Final and turn right inside the Midas Industrial Park. The first corner office is where you will hear music. So instead of buying car parts, soup-up your engines with a one o'clock Wednesday dance.
     I danced with three ladies and allowed myself to remove the rust from my shoes. It felt good to be with English Jane, and Tina again. And  oh yes, Gina showed up with her slow moving boy friend in tow. About four years ago, I met Gina at the old four story Victorian Ocean House. She looked stunning but I knew by her nervousness something bothered her.
   She walked over to the refreshments where I was resting. And then I posed the question again.
   "Gina, remember four years ago that you had carried a deep secret for many years but wouldn't reveal it to me?"She turned to me and quipped: , 
   "George I am ready to tell you my secret. "When I was a kid, my Dad chased my Mom once with a butcher knife. Instead of slicing her up, he beat the hell out of my kid sister. From that day, I could never let a man control me. In fact you might say men scare me."
    "Thank you Gina. I fully understand. My own Mom hit me with so many broomsticks, the grocery store had trouble keeping them in stock. My Mom Edith scared me to death.  Even today, I think women have it out for me and carry a broom."
   The next girl I  danced with was a Vietnamese who just made it when the North Vietnamese invaded Soul Vietnam. She told me her husband forced her to have sex and to this day, she no longer permits men into her house.
   Well, as you can see, ballroom dancing not only get the body in shape but removes nasty secrets from our minds.
      I soon felt winded and decided to leave early for my Motel Six. I love the A/C, new T.V. cherry floors and with so many light switches I get confused. What I enjoy the most is the room has a  triple pained window glass. Everything is updated.  pained window. I went to bed early and got up for a Dennis breakfast. across the way. After a deep sleep in new George woke up
  No ;longer angry with my daughter, I knew the day was all mine. Again I worked on my JPG working pictures I had entered in my flash drive into my story. I felt thrilled to have accomplished this.
 Thursday was Bridge Day also, and I despise bridge or Majong. Over one hundred showed up for these games. My ex Stella is a fanatic for both. She would rather play these games than a night on the town with me.
  Outside the senior center, I saw a young man help one older than farther time out of his brand new Cadillac. I asked the caned man for his age. "I am 98 years old. " I said hello to his son-in-law and proceeded to go down to the highway to catch a few rays of sun. Another old man was entering for the Bridge tournament.
   "How do you like these Golden Years" I demanded.
   "They misnamed them. These are the rustic years of our lives."

Well got to go now. Wouldn't wish to miss the sun set at the Alisa Rest Stop. (Everything written is true, except the names.)

No comments:

Post a Comment