Monday, October 13, 2014

A Return Visit to the Mercy Scrip's Hospital

My buddy tore up his leg in Tijuana. He packed goods inside a truck for relief of flood victims last month in a torrential hurricane. A truck broadsided his vehicle the caused a black and blue right leg. His leg infection was so bad he now had had two operations. The good think about my visits is that I can enjoy their breakfast, and Chef Cindy's darling spinach with other greens and a bacon or two-all for three ninety five. Again we are at the Scripps' Hospital off of Washington Blvd 

   Last night I had the best sleep in a long while. My buddies Larry and Stan allowed me to sleep on their apartment couch in the San Diego downtown area. What a blessing!  Even though I woke up at about two, it was great knowing somebody Jewish cared. They live a little south of Thirteenth and Market in a large apartment complex with a view of the Central Library and Petco Park. It is a large apartment building not far from the -large apartment building that overlooks Petco Park and a slice of the Harbor.
   There is always excitement in this heart of San Diego with its panhandlers, pimps and quick eateries. There is a smell here unlike the smell by the Cities Harbor on Broadway. It is good clean heavy sweat without the deodorants used by San Diego's yellow ties.
    The Blue and Orange Line Trolleys run every fifteen minutes on Park Blvd, about one block from their Thirteenth Street address. A dentist can make a great living treating these patrons with missing teeth. They get off and on at will, seldom hassled by the T.S.A. or transit police. In-and-Out markets are on every corner advertising power drinks and hot doggies for two for a dollar.
    I checked on an apartment building off of Market and there was a waiting list of one hundred before me. San Diego sorely needs low income housing but its City Council is too busy keeping electronic cigarettes out of convenience stores. Todd Gloria and his other cronies don't give a dam for the homeless. They wish to build San Diego into the biggest attraction since the Barnum and Bailey Circus came to town.
    Downtown is a mixture of ethnic groups with white and blacks dominating the pavement. It is impossible to get parking and if you do, watch out for the meter maids. They'll find a way to ticket you. The City of San Diego's  main source of income is parking tickets. It also seems that their streets are cleaned not to remove dirt, but to give tickets for those who park on cleaning days
    There goes another fire truck. Deaths occur every hour. The trucks pick up the dead mainly in the morning hours when the city stretches its arms with street cars, buses and an endless line of Ralph's shopping carts, dog walkers and luggage pushers. The humid dirty air is the culprit. You see unlike cities who live off the ocean air, San Diego has humid tropical air brought in from the border. And get this. Few apartments have an Air conditioning. Only the major hotels do.
     Just look at their shoes to see if they are real homeless They pull luggage and look inside trash cans at every corner. Just look how dark they have become and you can tell how long they have lived on the street. Fortunately churches dole out food once a week.
   
 I visited Larry for most of Sunday and Stan-the-Man made a key for me. No longer would I slumber inside a motel or the rest stop outside Oceanside. Just maybe Lindsay throwing me out after I had paid the rent will create big changes. Too bad her doctor gave her heavy doses of Paxil. The drugs removed every tooth in her mouth and made her jaw hurt.  . Hell, she was only twelve at the time.
   Before I took the elevator up to his 800 room, I needed to relax after a great stay inside the living quarter's living room. Again the spinach stole the show with a little help from the biscuit and scramble eggs. The big news item on the cafe's T.V. was about how the second person had come down with the disease.  I finished my coffee and tore up to his room. Larry was reading the bible with his left leg propped up.
   "Wow you are hear so early. How did it go in our apartment."
    "I had a great sleep and woke up to read a book on the night stand. It was about the In-and-Out burger by Rand. It was great how their equation was simply the best beef and friendly way they treated their employees and patrons. A good book is a swell way to finish off a good sleep."
     "George, I have no more pain in my ankle and the purple over my knee is better. The rabbi wishes you to attend their pizza lunch on Wednesday. Ann oh yes, David is coming tonight and is aware of the damages that Paxil can do over a life span."
     "Well I am going to go to the San Marcos Kaiser. Maybe they can help me to make her doctor aware of the seriousness of her problem. Hell, they are the ones who made her a dope head. She never would have needed some of the drugs if only her real problem had been dealt with."
   
    So as not to bore you, I left and drove the #5 freeway to the Palomar Airport Drive. Soon I arrived at the membership for Kaiser. Not only did Irene not help me, but she confessed that Kaiser has no internet or book of hospitals. Hell I I wished for was to contact her doctor. Her one drug of Paxil has turned into three or four. (Not edited or finished.)

No comments:

Post a Comment