Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Carlsbad Dennis Restaurant

It has been a luxury staying at the Motel Six in Carlsbad, but today I will sail to the Also Rest Stop just outside of Oceanside. Again I had a small breakfast at Dennis, across the way from the hotel on Carlsbad Village Drive-just west of the Five freeway. 

 "Would you like a menu sir?"
  "I know what I want. Get me the small senior breakfast."  The six dollar special includes one egg, one bacon , and a small dish of smaller fruit.
   The day before had been a long productive day. Thoughts of yesterday still steamed my mind.  I drove to Balboa Park for their Thursday dance and also visited Larry at the Scripps Mercy hospital. He had been in a truck accident in Mexico and the doctors were draining his left leg. It felt good to speak to Larry Barnes about my own wows. His  infected leg was propped up with a a towel draped around his infected ankle. The evening before, a surgeon had pushed a glass full of infected blue ice cream from this leg.  
   I met Jim from Ramona. He arrives at Dennis about the same time  I do, six o'clock. The eatery is open all night. He was in a gay mood this morning when he arrived with his two helpers. His truck is outside and wears a well cropped set of hair for one my age. He saw me dancing to a catchy 50's number at the restaurant and turned around in the next booth.
   'You look like a good dancer. May I ask what brings you here,"he asked
   "I am going through a transition now. Looking for an apartment by the beach. What do you do in Ramona?"
   "I help with the food program. We have six churches that give out free lunches to the homeless every day." We exchanged phone number. "I'll be coming down to see the play that made your city famous. 
 Later, I took a break and went to the Carlsbad Library for the North County Writer's Workshop that meets every Friday morning a room adjacent to the council chamber. No matter how well my writing has come along, there is always room for improvement. 
  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment