Tuesday, December 17, 2013

When Bella met Sebastian. A Dog Story

  "The six foot chain link fence could not hold Sebastian. My husband built our kennel on our half acre of property. The dog knew, before anyone, when Bella was in heat. You might say all hell broke loose. Bella already stocked our church members with two litters. But enough was enough."
     Lady Barbara began her dog story at the Encinitas Senior Center's Oak's cafe. Old timers,  like me,  make a contribution to the lunches prepared in Vista. Today, every table was full. The last ones to sit down were Leona, Mike and his friend. 
   Well, the early bird gets all the worms --as they say. I enjoy listening to Lady Barbara's stories. We have a good connection, and I am too late to become husband number four.  It eleven and Barbara awaits me in the Oak Cafe. The large banquet room doubles as a dancing floor and a lunch cafe.
   At table Five, she sat speaking with Sir Ron, her Knight in shining armor. Ron sits her and brings coffee to her.  She came early not to miss any of the action. Her food was laughter. I sat beside her, this Tuesday and wanted her to talk about her husband, a McKee. Now I hope there was three 'e's in his last name, but we will sort out the wash later on.
   "Barbara, today I wish you to speak about your husband and where you lived."
  We moved to La Harbra Heights from  Encinitas. My seven kids needed  room to roam. We bought a two acre spread in what was an Avocado orchard. While my husband was away, I enjoyed raising German Shepard's. 
    "Sebastian and Bella were tan and black. They were inseparable. Everywhere Sebastian went Bella and her litter was sure to follow.  After their first litter, I wished to fix Bella so she could no longer produce. Her husband, Sebastian, went too crazy when she first went into heat. My Encinitas church members would not hear of it. Each wanted one from the litter. 
   "It took seven weeks before I allowed anyone to take one. Bella provided milk the first six weeks of their birth, but after they had been weaned, she became a disciplinarian. Whenever her group of six got out of line, she grabbed and shook the neck of a puppy. By the seventh week, they were ready for their new home."
   Sebastian became the problem. Bella was in heat  too many times. Of course my seven kids never did need to learn the facts of life. Each spent hours watching them. But we did not need any more litters and besides, the meat to feed them became too costly.
   We had a six foot kennel fence installed. Every Time Bella had her period, we prodded the male into the kennel with meat. It did no good. It leaped over the fence despite our efforts. My husband placed two more feet of plastic over the fence. Did that stop Bell'a mate. Hell no! He chewed the plastic making a hole in it. It just wouldn't work.
   Like old people, Sebastian slowed down. Bella thought she could now be at the head of the line to greet the mailman. No such luck. Sebastian tossed Bella to the side and relinquished his throne at the head of the line.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment