Thursday, December 26, 2013

Holocaust Auschwitz Survivor-Horst Cahn

    "The worst day of my life was when a friend returned from a Polish village in 1943. . 'I saw your sister killed by the Nazis. The storm troopers threw her baby against a wall. She ran to pick it up. They shot her in the head...But you must promise not to tell yoour parents. It would kill them."
   Today, the first day after Christmas, Lady Barbara did not appear. I hope she didn't fall down or something bad happened to her. 
   I will try to paraphrase what Horst said at Table Five without interrupting him, this time. Like myself, he plays with words. No matter what I tell him, he replies with a smarter answer. 
   "Horst, I wonder why you survived while the other 4000 German Jews in Camp Buna didn't?"
   "Let me tell you something. I belonged to a Maccabees Club in Essen Germany. In my early teens, I won matches in wrestling, boxing, soccer, and even bicycle racing. Those many awards and trophies I lost when the Nazis removed me and my family to a Camp Auschwitz. 
   'The only award in my house is one for the 'Biggest mouth in the South Bay.'
    "My Dad ran an office equipment shop in Essen Germany. For his hobby, he went to toy shows. He had no interest in sports, like me. I also was a boy scout leader."
  "Our group went skying in the Alps many times. The ski's were made of wood then. The only time trees grew was in the winter. Let me explain. The best skiers skied at the beginning of the line. I had to look behind to make sure nobody fell. When I looked back, a tree often hit me. Now that tree hadn't been there before...Get it?...And never did I ever have a broken bone." 
   At that point, Marcia interrupted. "This is my last meal with you guys. Happy New Year." Marcia had been a member of Table Five now for one month. The retired psychologist from the Old Pepperdine, Los Angeles Campus.  needs to be careful on what she eats. The pork and beans were served up. 
   "Horst, my rabbi does not like me. He knows I eat pig food."
    "Your not the only one. When my rabbi found out I lived on Buckingham, he kicked me out of the synagogue."
   "I want to tell you something George. A girl on the bus did not wish to know about Auschwitz. I felt like kicking her in her ass, but I did not wish to dirty my shoes" 
   "I forgot to tell you I learned to made pastries when I worked in an Esson Bakery."(In the new year, I will publish his book, "I want to tell you something...)

   At 88 years of age, he is probably the only one still alive from his camp in Auschwitz. The camp housed over 4000 inmates. He is still five feet something, with an indelible smile and wide grin for anyone within hearing distance. 
   He eats only a salad and dresses impeccably. Whereas Babe Ruth was the Sultan of Swat, Horst Cahn is the greatest player of words. He has the right words for every question.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment