Thursday, December 5, 2013

Ron's Barber Shop, the Village



  Whenever anyone mentions haircut, I think of Ron's Barber Shop in Carlsbad. It is off Carlsbad Village Drive in the North County part of San Diego.I call it San Diego North. Ron is an artist at his craft , and I have been going there for over three years. And Besides, my girl friend Gloria had told me "the make of a man was how the top of the head stood up", since a comb and I were strangers, she implored to "have it cut short."  
    Yesterday I got my once-a-month-cut since Ron's craft  was a-cut -above the rest. I had been there first in the morning and two sat ahead of me. I felt too good to just wait. Besides, I just rambled in on Amtrak from San Diego and did not wish my serenity disturbed. I had already eaten the Big John Special at the Tip Top restaurant off of Palomar Road and wished to ease into my day. The Big John allows you to eat to your fill for only seven ninety five. He kills the cow in the back and fills his patrons with the choicest and freshest cuts in the front.  Tip Top Restaurant is three stores south of the corner Seven Eleven off of Palomar Road.
   After computer work in the Carlsbad Library off of Carlsbad Village Drive, I tried my luck again at Ron's Barber shop, next to another Seven Eleven and the freeway overpass. Earlier, two waited for his chair. This time, my patience was rewarded. Only one long hair was a-head of me. I cradled my  Charles Dickens book inside with me and took up a chair.
    The long hair before me sat down and belted out instructions. "My wife gets turned on by my long hair, so don't mess with it Ron. Instead, trim it to the top of my shirt collar. Thank you." Ron did not blink an eye,  but went right to work just like Santa Claus on Xmas Eve.  In fact, Ron's is a slice of Americana, apple pie. 
    I fell into a trance reading The Curiosity Shop by Charles  Dickens when somebody screamed, '"Your next good looking." I woke up and looked at a handsome man besides the wall. "You must mean the man... over there." No, I mean you!", said Ron pointing to me. .
   By this  time, six more men had entered his shop. It felt like a run on Ron's Barber shop. There was even a run on the shop's back toilet. One man needed to patiently wait. Anther waltzed in and announced, "I'll give five dollars for someones place in line. I told the man, "that's my line."
   There was no need to direct  Picasso on my trim, and when he had finished, I dared to ask, what I never dared before. "Ron, is your art of cutting the same,  no matter how many are waiting?" Until my last earthly haircut, I'll never forget his reply.
   "George, I just go slow. In fact nothing bothers me anymore. I just go slow."
  I piped in again, not willing to relinquish my barber chair time. "Ron the longer I live, the more I forget what I needed to remember. I now also go slow. I gave him a twenty. "Just give me a five back."
 .No longer do I need to look into the looking glass. Ron never strikes out. My blood has never spilled out on his saw dust floor. I passed out a few of my cards and wished everyone a Lucky Hair Day and a Merry Xmas to all, and to all who shave their heads at Ron's Barber Shop.
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment