Monday, December 30, 2013

The San Diego Rose Garden

 The Chargers won! 
  Today San Diego  celebrates. The Chargers made the playoffs. Yet a Kansas scrub team almost did them in. Their field goal missed by a foot and would have ended their season. An early vacation though might have acquainted them with the sights and sounds of San Diego. 
    Balboa Park has a world famous Zoo and not far down Park Blvd is a famous rose garden. I discovered it when I first moved to downtown San Diego and resided at the Y.M.C.A. in 2011. That first year my favorite place was the Rose Garden, a block south of the zoo. 
    I took a bag lunch with me and after two buses exited on Park Blvd. The Cabrillo Bridge took me to the hill with a view of the valley below. I found a log and removed my tuna sandwich first. Alone and so relaxed, it felt good to remove myself from the hustle and bustle of city life in back of me.  Over a bridge took me to the famous Rose and Cactus garden. They could have taken in the Zoo, picked Roses from the garden, or simply gone to Seaport Village to ride the ponies at the merry-go-round.
   It proves again that teams hungry to win most always get the "W". The Chiefs did not even start their first team. It reminded oof the third game on the Trojan schedule in 1936. Davy Davis quarterbacked the Trojans and humiliated Illinois with his brisk running and true passing. The Trojans won going away and the Illinois coach compared Davis  to another great by the name of Red Grange.
   Now up for San Diego are the Denver Broncos  Those rich enough to fly to the game can reach Lindbergh Field by taking the 992 bus. For a few bits, it will bus you right to your stop. All Trolley's, an trains take you to within a block of the Kettner and Broadway.
  I had just finished savoring a quarter pound of chocolate at the Old Town candy store.  The Old Town Candy Store sells a half pound worth for eight dollars. I sat on a bench digesting the scenery. It was hot and beautiful. The Chinese tourists, as usual, admired everything without opening up their purse strings My but are they stingy with money.
   Earlier I had eaten a grapefruit on the grounds of the 1830's Machado adobe home. An old great fruit tree beckoned me to pick one or two. The home was in back of the old school house. The fruit was a bit tart for my stomach. It needed some chocolate to sooth its nerves.   I needed something sweet to remove some acidity.
   After I divested myself of five dollars worth of brown candy, I heard delightful music up ahead.
   I made my way to the Patio Restaurant across from the ice cream shop. Another busload of Chinese tourists had climbed aboard. Not-a-one had purchased anything. The American shoppers made up for it. Parking was ten dollars a spot
  Augustine and his magical guitar made it an end to a perfect 75 degree San Diego day. Two couples danced while he played his Latin love songs. I imagined I was dancing with the girl until I got scouted her looks. She appeared a bit too heavy for one so slim and slick. I walked down San Diego Street towards the Green Line Trolley station.
   A crowd of celebrating Chargers had just gotten off. Some lined up in my favorite Italian Restaurant, La Bella Pizza. It has received awards for its delicious cuisine. I have eaten there and can join on why it is so popular. .

   My day began early on Sunday. I dressed and did my toilet before heading to the Sunday Mass at the Catholic Immaculate Conception Church. It is in Old Town on Twigs Street not far from the original Father Serra church.
   I detrained at Old Town and headed south to my church. Reverend Ecker sat on the stage in front of one of the largest congregations I had ever seen. Over two hundred parishioners sat glued to this famous preacher. The first Mass had begun at eight o'clock and I arrived at eight thirty.
   Why Reverend Ecker's sermons need no sauce or spice. His words seem to come directly from God. This morning he spoke from the Book of Mathew.
   I will paraphrase for those of you who slept in. Joseph sneaked Jesus out of Bethlehem to avoid capture by the Roman King Herod. They fled to Egypt. Later, God spoke to Joseph asking him to return him to Israel.
   The Reverend then spoke about a father who looked for perfection. After days of wandering, he found it at home with his family.
 
 Tonight is the Holiday Bowl. I will probably spend it at Old Town eating a rainbow ice cream and listening to the sounds of Augustine and his guitar. Football no longer appeals to me, since I look for perfection every day.
 My game is the game of life. God created it and I enjoy the fruits of his labor. No no cell phones, lab tops for me. Just give me music and the perfect picture God made for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment