Tuesday, December 24, 2013

How Buena Park' rides began?

   "I enjoyed visiting the Knox family. They lived not far from us in Buena Park as we lived in Anaheim. I just loved to speak with Walter, but it was wife who expanded the berry farm into a lot more. Do you know George, they remained in their little house off the freeways there entire life. His wife was passionate about cleanliness so he had to do all of his work in the rear of the house."
   "They turned their berry pies into chicken dinners and later decided to introduce more to their farm. When he built Constitution Hall, his two daughters overruled him. He wished people to enter his farm free of charge. The vote was two to one, and his daughters won out.  Like myself, they came from humble beginnings but their berries turned into a thriving business."
   Lady Barbara told the above story, like others, while lunching at the Oak Cafe in City of Encinitas I sat at table 5 and as usual, let her do the talking. My mouth was sore anyhow due to the extraction of my 31 back molar. So I listened, as did Sharon, Ron, Abe, and Thomas -- who had returned from a one month stay at a local hospital.
   Today without Horst and his favorite line, "I want to tell you something..." all of us had the opportunity to speak.
    'I also knew the family who began the  Bob's Big Boy restaurants. The wife went with me anytime I walked a precinct for Republican votes. I supported Christians only. I even had a speaker come to some of my meetings. His name was Welch and he did not charge any money." (Welsh was the founder of the conservative Birth Society.) 
    "Did you support Dick Nixon?"
   "No George, he wasn't a good Christian, not at all."
   "Where did you go for your vacations?"
   "We went up north and rented a cabin. When our family grew to seven kids, we put up a tent and I did the cooking outside while my kids went fishing. Those days were the best days of my live."
   The salad, apple, and main dish of rice and fish were served.  Only a few tables spoke today, since their drivers were off for a    Christmas Celebration.
   This Christmas I began to enjoy myself and tried not to be the center of attention. . I enjoy engaging other in their life stories. And what is life without people, who love people. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment