Monday, December 16, 2013

Amby, a Trojan Legend

   You are looking at the greatest athlete to come out of San Diego. I took the picture this picture of the San Diego Caver and U.S.C. star about seven years ago. No, he didn't play baseball, but Schindler was the best all-around-athlete San Diego ever had. I did not know the story about the then, 90 year old, would  lead me to the finest city in America. .
    I spent the last three years living in San Diego, his home town, mine.   The book, "Schindler, a Trojan Legend" is finished. At last glance, we are both still alive, all 160 years of us. He is 96 years old.  Also, he had been my Dad's idol. My Dad Harry mentioned his name in the forties, along with two other athletes, Joe Louis and Hank Greenberg.
His story goes from the sandlots of San Diego where he played with Ted Williams, to his glory years on the gridiron. Due to injuries, the forgotten one showed his pedigree in the Rose Bowl Game of 1940 against the Volunteers of Tennessee and later in the Chicago All Star Game, where he was named All Star Player of the Game.  
After football he played for the Los Angeles Rugby team, refereed American Football games and also taught and coached at El Camino College. His teaching career lasted 50 years until the love of his life, Lucille, became ill. For me, it gave me a brand new lease on life. I was not a writer then but am one now-and how!
    Today my back yard is all of San Diego, particularly the Harbor area. I dance at the Balboa Bay Club, visit the San Diego Library, Coronado or Carlsbad Libraries, and when the weather is too hot, stay at the Sheriton Hotel across from the airport. 
   Like Schindler, my favorite beach is OB or Ocean Beach and  Old Town my favorite hangout. I have become a half-Mexican in my new life in San Diego.  But enough about an ex-English and reading teacher, I think the book might change your life,  as it has mine. 
   I need to leave now. My friends are waiting for me to play the piano at the Encinitas Senor Center. My second life could never have happened if I hadn't latched onto Ambrose Parks Schindler.

   Schindler began teaching at the new college in the South Bay area. He won the conference title in 1950 and mentioned his best player, Jim Sears who would transfer to U.S.C.
   He taught scuba diving, swimming, golf, and diving among other sports. El Camino was his new school after teaching at Glendale High School. 


No comments:

Post a Comment