Friday, November 1, 2013

The Sixth wife of King Henry the Eighth

"You have to play the piano now Barbara."  I open the keyboard and the frail little one sits down and plays. Four months ago, she told me, "I am waiting for God to take me. I am ready! That was four months ago. Now a van picks this thin 84 year old up and takes her for her lunch at the Encinitas Senior Center, close to San Diego.
  She appeared sad, too sad..She sat alone at table number 5. Table 5 included Abe, Ron, Jay Boy, and me. She looked lighter than a feather, but something about her told me she came from Royal Blood. She folded her hands by her side, and looked lost.
   The had difficulty playing it at first. Her dainty fingers had forgotten. "Can you hum the songs to me." Like me, I found out she played by ear. A smile came over her face while her fingers began to remember their touch.
   I began to hum songs like You made me love you, or Let me call you sweet heart and a new Barbara felt alive again. Without a Song the Day would never end.
   Now she can play many tunes without a need to have me hum the melody. She enjoys conversing with Gregorio, Abe, Ron, and now Horst. She looks forward to these luncheons. It is not a coincidence she looks royal and has an ear for music. I sifted information out of this 84 year old doll. Her Mother told her about her heritage.

   "My family immigrated from England. They were Babtists and found they could practice their religion here. Their leader was John Green, the Surgeon. He had owned lots of property and his forefathers went back t the time of King Henry the Seventh."
   "They settled in Rhode Island where the first Jewish synagogue was built. I lived in Highland Park, and my Mom took me to my first piano lessons. My uncle played for the Los Angeles Philharmonic, and an earlier one played in Europe and was considered our first great musician."
   "My Dad took me for my seventh lesson and I did not like how he abused me. I quit although my teacher was devastated. He knew I had lots of talent."
   "I worked at Clifton's restaurant in Los Angeles cleaning tables, and also a model in a clothing store. We were not far from the Santa Fe and remember my Mom giving food to the hobos who climbed the tops of the cars. (More to come.)  .  
    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment