Friday, November 15, 2013

Balboa Park Senior Dance.

   "Ill dance with you on one condition. You'll help me back if my legs don't hold up. I haven't danced in thirty years and have a bad case of arthritis."
   I helped Carol to her feet. she felt like a dead weight. Every other Thursday, the Balboa Bay Club sponsors dances in Balboa Park. It is at the end of President's Way and one stop removed from the Zoo.   Carol did not know her own strength and held up fine during Strauss's Vienna Woods waltz. In fact she wished a second dance but now my legs felt shot. She thanked me profusely since it had been a long, long time since the last time she shook off the cob webs from her legs.
   Most of these seniors have had better days judging by their angular gait and blotches on their hands and legs. I also have had better times. Well at one time, most of my girl friends thought I was more handsome than Robert Redford. He was a famous movie star in the old days. used to look like Robert Redford, a famous movie star in the olden days.
   I felt a little embarrassed at the dance. A Dr. Torch, at Kaiser,  burned several some precancerous spots from my face and head.  I made sure not to look into the mirror after my Monday of disfigurement. At least I still owned four front teethe.
   At first I felt tired. During our break, I  feasting on grapes, cheese and a cake. The band played a medley of military tunes that honored all branches of the service, even the Coast Guard. The veterans were honored and two men at my table took a Rose with them. The sugar energized me and I then felt like a thirty year old.
   I danced with Carmen, Nancy and a few others. The Royal band began playing a polka and there staring me in my  eyes was Gloria. This Gloria was tall, slim and gloomy. I moves put a smile on her gloomy face. She always looks as if Jack the Ripper is about to attack her. She finally looked at me and smiled. I began to get excited.
    Even when two gals refused a Shirley Temple at the Prado could not change my mood. At three thirty I went to a piano in the front of the building and entertained for a few people along with Sally. Sally could have played for two more hours.
    So I did two out of the three activities I live for: dancing, and piano playing. My evening ended with a Halibut fish dinner along with a fresh crispy salad with celery and tomatoes.

   Today, I went to the Church of Immaculate Conception in Old Town. I then left for the Coronado Library to finish my football story, and of course, write about my Balboa Park experience. I just got back from a Schubert piano recital at the Library.  .
 

No comments:

Post a Comment