Friday, November 22, 2013

My heart is 30 Percent Stronger

I met Barbara about eight months ago at the Encinitas Senior Center. She sat all alone at Table 5. Quite unlike me, I tried to console her but did not know the 84 year old would end up as my soul mate. She kept saying she wished the lord to take her. A few months later, she played the piano and she began to enjoy life again at Table number 5

   "My son came down from Ramona. He took me to my doctor yesterday. Guess what George? My heart beats 35 percent better than before." There was a new flame burning in Barbara's motor, and it came from laughter, music and lots of love. I had presented a Thanksgiving story to her, hers. She looked excited that I had undergone to write her story. I was eleven o'clock and thirty minutes before lunch time at the Li'l Old Oak's Cafe in Encinitas.
    I am writing her life's story and am deeply in love with this modest but elegant damsel. She probably weighs less than sixty pounds but it is all heart. She is a descendant of  Catherine Parr, the Sixth wife of Henry the Eight.
  "Barbara, can you play one or two melodies for me?" She replies that her "back hurts too much today."   Since a friend drove her to see the Philharmonic San Diego orchestra, she has been playing Hallelujah on the grand piano. Of course I precede her by playing Rosemary and other ditties.
  The balanced diet, friends, music, and laughter has provided her with a new heart. Today she finishes the Salmon along with rice a greens She add more to my story about the Greene Family. Her Mother told her about their relationship with that family.
   "John Greene,the Surgeon, left his family's  possessions and fled England for religious freedom..He was a Baptist, but when he arrived in Boston, the Puritans would not allow him to settle there. He fled and many thought the snow or lack of food would have killed him. He was rescued by Indians who fed him. He asked for some land to grow crops. The presented him with a piece of Rhode Island.  He allowed a flock of Jews to build the first synagogue there."
    She then spoke about a trip to the northern part of England. Her daughter took her there."Do you know I sat in a church built for the workers in the northern part of England. The townspeople were so glad to meet one of the famous Green Family. It was Maud Green who married Parr. Later her daughter Katherine married King Henry who had lost his fifth wife.
   You have probably guessed by now. But these seniors have added more lust to their life, and I don't mean food. The look forward to breaking bread with Barbara, in fact, a few even bow. I am the one who courts her.
   Today at the Oaks Cafe sliced turkey with potatoes is served. I cut the turkey pieces for her and she digs in. The news about her robust heart makes her upbeat today. She does not even wish to play the piano. I force her. Sometimes I have to hum the tune for her. She has dementia, like most of the others. She often repeats herself.
   "George, when I visited England with my daughter. We visited a church, and when the priest found out I was from the Green family, he roasted the town people. The Greens had owned a lot of property and my Mom told me they raised thousands of sheep, and were the largest wool makers in England."
  'No Barbara, put away your money. Maybe later we can come to a figure. Don't forget your left overs.From now on, don't bring hard cash with you."
  "But George, what if I get stranded. At least I can buy a ride home"
  A Taxi van comes and picks her up. It is called a lift. And By God, does she give me a lift too.
It looks like Barbara hooked a fish. An I am the fish. Just spent time in the Carlsbad library in on the second floor's genealogy area. John Greene, the Surgeon, did come to Rhode Island and helped Roger Williams settle the new state. He did return to England and was granted a parcel of the state.
   In 1658, The first Jewish synagogue was founded in Touro, Rhode Island. They were given religious liberty and their flock prospered.  Touro Synagogue was built to a thriving community. Nathaniel Green fought along side of George Washington and a General George Green fought in the Civil War.
   The Greens held offices in Rhode Island like Governor and etc. It looks like I have begun to write her story.

No comments:

Post a Comment