Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The Flavor of Los Angeles

It felt good to leave the cold windy rains of Surf City. Too many of the residents e I find over-nourished, under-educated , and racist. A bus driver on Saturday saw a truck with two American flags, but instead of red, white and blue the colors were red, white and black. a couple of months ago, I saw a Hitler look alike while checking out of Von's on Atlantic and Magnolia
   On an early Monday, I boarded the almost empty #33 for Buena Park and La Palma. I desperately needed a change of scenery and cleaner air, or Los Angeles. It took about forty minutes, and to my left I saw the rides of Knott's Berry farms. It only took about five minutes to be picked up by the L.A. 460 Metro Bus that picked me up on La Palma. 
    Those who have read my blog know that taking the Long Beach Blue Line is not for the frail and old - and now since the line is being refitted, I refuse to sit with the dirt, grime and intolerable behavior of patrons who ride in from Long Beach. During this remodeling, they can ride for free.  That is why I find myself now taking a circular route to downtown Los Angeles
    Like a serpent, the bus skirted the towns of La Mirada, and Norwalk, sticking mainly to Firestone and Imperial before reaching the large Transit Center where many Patrons descended and connected with the Green Line. Many passengers boarded here and I found many were laborers or workers who exhibited proper behavior.
    After a five minute break, the bus departed but this time meandered on the 105 freeway and stuck to a bus lane. It paralleled the route of the Green Line. The Green Line connected with the Blue and and the L.A. airport shuttle and finally Redondo Beach. I have been on this line and felt intimidated by many passengers who climb aboard with bikes, carts, and trash bags. Not all, but many exhibit behavior that is so obnoxious, that I can't print it since this computer will break down.

So Far So Good.  I was smart enough not to drink any Green Tea, and my bladder felt fine halfway to Los Angeles. Several girls were dolling up their fine faces while others amused themselves with their smart phones. Not quite eighty, I wished to witness the changing of the scenery as my able and kind bus drive said good-by to the 105 and hello to the Harbor Freeway.
   The bus traveled in a special bus lane that stopped on Manchester to pick up a few passenegers before carrying on to its last leg and getting off on Expo and Flower. Two wished to get to the Expo line for Santa Monica but I wished to go all the way to Figueroa and Fifth Street
    "Thank you  again and have a great day." The  bus driver was all smiles and showed an overabundance of compassion for here charges. and it didn't hurt that she spoke and understood English.
    My town, L.A , was waking up. The cold winds from the ocean circled the tall buildings. It was a clear blue day. A biker almost hit me, but the sound and the color of the city exited me. My steps were fast and sure as I avoided some construction and now headed to Hope Street and Walked North to the South Wing of the Central Library
    Now inside the library I hurried to the bathroom on the First Floor and waited for a homeless chap to finish brushing his teeth before taking the elevator to the fourth and lowest floor to order a Herald and Express micro films of December of 1939.
     As soon as I placed the film and turned on the machine my mind went into orbit  A Neo-Nazi leader was  convicted do to the fine torts of  Tom Dewey who would run for president and Russian had invaded Finland...But what caught my eye was a touchdown catch by Jackie Robinson
thrown by Kenny Washington. U.C.L.A after beating the Cougars now hoped to get into the 1940 Rose Bowl...'
    After spending a couple of hours glued to the films, and re energizing my depleted body with Panda Express on the first floor. I took my body back to Hope. Hooked to a long silver cover a food truck caught my eye. I began to dance to the Mariachi music as several people were buying a nine dollar Mexican combo.
    "Ho much for the doggies."
     "Six dollars,: was his the replay of the well dressed and spoken owner as his sidekick grilled more meat and veggies on his skillet. A l;ady across from me waited for her eight dollar taco I could see that this vendor did all right. I began o walk towards Seventh and the Metro Station I heard somebodies feet behind me.
     "The lady over there has bought you a hot dog...Do you wish everything on it?"
      'You got it," while I turned and hitched up my pants to appear not a slouch.
     Now I have tasted hot dogs before but this one was like a bolt out of the sky. I cradled the bun as if there was a new baby inside and chewed each succulent bite. A homeless man came towards me and as if the kind lady told me that one good turn deserves another, I told the man carrying a book with a loud limp t stop .
     "Can I buy you a dog?"
      "Yes sir. Thanks..bad luck every since Katrina in New Orleans...Live at a shelter down the street..Where is the unemployment office?
      I gave a ten to the lunch truck man and he returned a fiver to me. I told the man I would pray for him as the last piece of hot dog I finally digested
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment