Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Power Outage in Surf City

It felt good to have cashed my retirement check at Wall Mart. Equity management requires my rent to be paid within three days, and that with a money order or cashier check. Our New Governor was correct, Surf City needs more housing, and much more. Restrains must be placed on the apartment owners or managers who  have the option not providing you with a new lease.
   I live at the Beach Wood Apartments on Magnolia and Garfield. at least my $1,700 apartment provides a roof over my head. As evidenced by the lease, Equity Management is aware of the mildew and has made sure that the resident is responsible for any or all of the smell.  I am also aware that with Global Warming, it is a matter of time when the poison will exacerbate my already tinged lungs, so soon I will depart.
   Surf City suffered through a perfect storm the past Saturday. At least the Lift took me to the Warner Avenue Synagogue. It felt great to pray and sing the hymns sung by my forefathers a long time ago. The threat of rain made many hesitant to take the long walk to the Synagogue, as a heavy downpour in the afternoon would make them wet on the return trip home. Jews are forbidden to walk on the Sabbath.  I arrived at the Synagogue at nine o'clock, after drinking a coffee at Starbucks
   The Kiddish was ample, what with herring, salmon, olives, salad, beans and cake to relax my stomach. With extra wine, I forgot about  the windy cold windy rain.  I didn't need to squeeze through to place food on my plate.
    My Access lift was to come at 1:30. I put my beanie over my head and a cap over it. I picked up my golf  umbrella and hear the voice of Joshua.
     "You are the only smart one. We need to wait for the heavy downpour to end. Have a good day George."

Outside the Warner River had overflowed its banks. Too bad I had not worn galoshes. . I broad Jumped across the river and soaked my left tennis shoe, but made it to CVS.  My lift driver was supposed to pick me up between one thirty and two. I stood by the overhang of the drug store and prayed that the lift would come, or plan two would be put in place.
   It came and it felt good that I had survived the Perfect Storm .The Turkish driver spoke about the problems that Turkey has today and the Ottoman Empire many years ago. He spoke perfect English as well as three other languages. He parked beside the curb and I lifted myself outside.
   "Careful George, a live wire is over there!"
   I paid no attention to him. I felt tired and needed to nap. I turned the electric wall heater on did not hear any hissing sound. Ha, the radio lights are off. The lights did not answer when I flipped the switch. The manager was not inside her office as she is supposed to. Instead a note said, Lines down and Power if off everywhere - have a good day.
   Now that was Bull Shit.Somebody in this establishment should have remained there. After all we needed to pay our rent. With puddles everywhere, I jumped and crisscrossed the courtyards and made it back to my apartment. I new that my Bronchial Asthma would be exacerbated since my Heppa filter would not work
   It was too early to go to bed so I took a walk outside and saw three trucks working on the lines It downed on me. Jerk, across the street lies Home Depot. Get a flashlight. I did. Edison tied the shoelaces by nine thirty but by that time, i had forgotten as I was deep into reading a book with my new friend, a hand held flashlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment