Monday, September 21, 2015

Surf City Pier

A change was needed. I pulled myself up and out of my couch. It was going on Seven. My buddy told me that Yellow Tail had been biting off of the pier, and I just love Sushi. I parked my car away from the hungry meters and on Main. A fire truck had parked at the pier's entrance. Before it hung a man on a Palm Tree giving it a hair cut. Another man threw him a rope -- that he caught and began his descent.
   Up-ahead an Asian slid a yellow rope with an octopus hook at the end. He wished to get some muscles and barnacles. His fishing line did catch a small mackerel, which he left for the birds. A stronger than normal southeastern hit me in the face. It came from Mexico and the flags flew the other way.  
   I continued to walk until  Ruby's came into view. Several Asians had their lines in the water. I decided to sit down and read my O'Henry book. 30's music was playing in the background. I felt serene for the first time in quite-a-while. A window washer came over and asked me to leave. He held a long pole with a scrubber and two hoses at the end. He cleaned the upper windows using a zigzag motion. 
   Al-awhile another man drilled a hole inside the metallic railing -- to provide stability. 
   I decided to head back to my car. Up ahead a muscled man wearing scuba gear readied himself for the drop. He fastened several ropes and other gear before placing the round helmet over his face. Slowly, ever so slowly a line took him down to the deep. 
  Inside the truck his boss yelled, "it is number 32." I walked over and asked him what was going on. 
  "We are clearing the pilings of  muscles and barnacles. If we don't they will eat away until the pier slopes the wrong way." 
   Just then I heard a fog horn. Clouds covered the once clear sky. Somebody screamed that the "rain was a-coming." I stopped at Starbucks to finish a short story and then walked to my car. I had to return, shower and get ready for a Rodger's Senior Center lunch. 
   It was nice to see that a few ladies showed up to hear me play. 
   Edith asked me to play, Only You
    "Got to work on it Edith. Next week, OK?
The heat wave was over. I looked forward to a little rainy weather as I am sure you also did.   
  

1 comment:

  1. The Yellow Tail were biting yesterday. Guess that a change in the current made them leave and in their place were small Bonita.

    ReplyDelete