Monday, September 21, 2015

A Bud Light Volleyball Tournament

Sunday I slept in. That weekend I drove two hundred miles -- far too much for one reaching eighty. Saw a great film about a mobster in West Los Angeles. The mobster's name was Whitey Bulger. I slept on the coach until about two,  and decided to go to the pier. I heard a volleyball tournament was going on there.  

 I parked on main street a block from the parking meters. I took a plastic gallon bottle of tea along with a beach chair and umbrella. It felt good to get away from my apartment and the 405 freeway -- Surf City is great for waves but terrible for its mass transit -- it has none!!!
   I shared the pier's shade with many kids in the 2-A volleyball tournament. I gulped a few drags from my Ginseng tea bottle. Wal Mart has them on special for $2,75. I drink two quarts or more each day -- and that has made a lot of difference. No sodas for this senior who wishes to make it to 120 like his dad Moses. 
   My eyes glued to two teams. One of the teams were young teens -- perhaps still in high school. I'll call them the Cutie Pie brothers. The second-two-man-team looked to be in their thirties. One was all beefed up and will call him Muscles and the other was Clean Cut. 
   Each team kept winning. For the first time, I saw what it took to become a champion team. Each team anticipated the next shot. Of course a good set meant a clean spike -- unless the opposing blocker knew the direction of the hit...An off set meant that the man at net had to retreat and get ready to dig the hit. The net players jousted for the ball like the knights of old. 
  Quickness, not speed mattered. Each player was deft with his hands. The announcer made sure each court had players. It was going on four o'clock and the semifinals were about to take place. 
   "Will Walters and Green go to court three. The losers on court one will keep the score and judge the match" 
   While the new teams practiced,  I retraced my steps of yesterday. I  had great time with my daughter who saw my apartment, and I dare say might wish to move here. I then thought about Bobby Barber who passed on a few months earlier. I had partnered up with him many times, and miss seeing the best dressed man on the beach.  
   I took another swig of my Ginseng Tea. It had provided energy for the last two weeks. The movie about James Bulger swept through my mind. Can you imagine that I probably swept pass him  in Santa Monica. I played volleyball and used the library for over eight years. 
  Since the 405 was no more than a shopping center of cars, I took my daughter to wee the two hour movie and the $24 was worth it, every penny Johnny Depp gave a most believe-able performance. It was the first time ever i had ever been to a movie with my daughter. 
Teams were ready to play the first semi-final. Each of the Cutie brothers could not have weighed more than one hundred and twenty pounds. They were all beef a muscle, but how they could jump and hit. 
   I decided to get a ring side seat at the net. I moved my rainy day umbrella and watched. It was their eyes that I glued onto. Their eyes watched the hands of the opposing team. Too bad the brother teams was four inches too small. Height in volleyball makes a difference. 
  The Cutie brothers lost by a few points. Their mom told me that each was seventeen, and unbelievable that they made the semi's. They kept score for the final game where Muscles and Clean Cut barley beat the other team by two points. The young man next to me must have been close to seven foot and had lost earlier to the winning team. 
   'Don't understand why we can't drink beer on the beach."
   "Don't you mind. Beer Gully is right behind you. You can walk on Main Street and find beer everywhere. My brother liked Peros or the Beer Company. The various bars and restaurants make sure there is pomp and ceremony every weekend. Many of those who partner with Mr Suds or Mr. Barley end up in the gully. (Not Edited yet.) 
   
   
  

1 comment:

  1. Sunday gave me just what I needed. For the first time, I saw what it took to become a great volleyball player.

    ReplyDelete