Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Chabad in Orange County

    Never do I know where my old shoes will take me. It was Wednesday when I returned to a Jewish life off of Bolsa Chica and Warner Avenue. A Reb in San Diego had told me that a relative lived in i in Huntington Beach. He too was a Chabad Rabbi. I  parked a few blocks from the temple and a nice gentleman let me inside the front door. Another asked my blue eyes and blond hair my religion -- since nobody suspects I am Jewish. It was the Jewish Day of Atonement. 
    I stood for three hours and enjoyed the Jewish rhythms of the past. ms of the past. Just before we prayed for our dead fathers and mothers, the Rabbi Berkowitz' second story was the one that made the congregation laugh. It was about the Democratic hopeful Donald Trump who had entered upstate Utica,New York. His last stop was inside an old beaten up Trump who tried to drum up votes inside a Assistant Living Center in upper-state Utica, New York.
  Today the city looked like a war zone with Crock pots everywhere and streets that led to nowhere. The buildings had long lost their day during the heights of the Syracuse Sentinel days. It was then that Donald Trump entered and sat down next to a girl past beyond prime. She had been watching the I love Lucy Show for the fifth time inside the T.V room. Fifty or there-abouts glued to the T.V. The A/C was off of course to save the electric bill. He spoke to an elderly lady watching T.V. A care-giver was giving her a cup of pills with water. Her diapers had half slipped down. 
   "Do you know who-I-am?"  He repeated it a few times until he shouted.
   "Look at my blond curly hair, now do you know?"  She gave a quizzical look at the man and continued with I Love Lucy show.  Just then, Pearl sat down beside her and Donald trumpeted the same story with similar results. After the movie in which chocolate covered the face of Lucy, Pearl took him aside.
   Kind sir, don't you worry. All of us have memory problems. At that point bingo games begun in activity room. Now the Trumpets of religion came into his life. He had forgotten but a long-lost Jewish Grandmother came on a cloud to speak to him. 
   "Donald, it is time you become a Jew. You can rekindle the memory problem of these inmates. Do you witness this number on my right arm. Yes, I died inside Auschwitz in 1943 when the last remaining Berlin Jews were carted off to trains on their way to the gas chamber. Now is your turn to turn in a good deed." 
   Donald sold one of his many hotels and kicked out a few walls at the older than time assistant living center. He dropped in air conditioning, large portions of fish food, as well as a bus that took them to various football games or the Atlantic City to gamble. He did not stop there. Each patron had his medication reduced and soon the short terms memories to return.
    The Reb's next story dealt with the Jewish Day of Atonement -- a day when Jews around the world become one. It is a day when all Jews come together from all walks of live and ask our God to forgive the sins of the living, our forefathers, ancestors and those who gas chambered to death inside gas chambers. 
 'Now I don't believe in sports, but the name of Koufax, Sandy that is, will live in each Tabernacle until time goes by. It was a day that Dodger pitcher left his team uniform and returned to his God in heaven to become a player on God's team.  Dodger pitcher chose to worship his God, Hashem, instead of the World Series game in Minnesota. 
   He told each member that on this Sunday, he could not pitch. Instead he walked over to a hotel to pray until a knock on his door beckoned. It was a local Rabbi. He allowed him to enter.  "Mr. Koufax, what you did today will be remembered in the lives of all Jews. Rabbi Joab was astonished to see him wrap the Jewish film the correct way. 
   But my day did not end on Wednesday. No, I no longer am a Jew for a Day.I spent the entire Sabbath inside the Shul. and of course the old time hymns returned to me. Why even today, three days later, I still sings the songs of yesteryear when my Grandpa Schneider and Goldberg made me a Jew for a Day. (Not edited or finished.)
      

1 comment:

  1. No doubt the Jewish music in my early days played a part in proving me with a musical ear and a nice touch on the key board.

    ReplyDelete