Thursday, September 24, 2015

A Fish Surfs the Huntington Pier

My moods change as frequently as the winds. Today in Huntington Beach was no exception.  I woke up with my nose clogged-up inside the Five Points Senior Apartments -- but a little asthma did not stop me today...Yesterday I honored the Jewish Day of Atonement and enjoyed Chabad on Warner Avenue. 

I needed to get out of here. Earlier I had finished a $4.95 Costco Chicken and three Trader Joe's Eggs. My only regret Trader Joes did not carry candles. The manager told me they didn't consider the Day of Atonement a holiday but "would carry them in the future".
   As a reborn Jew, I needed to plant candles for my parents, Edith and Harry a felt upset the Trader Joes did not fell that the holiest day of the year had not been a holiday. I felt sure they still went for the saw-buck rather than God. 
   The pier beckoned. I took my two mile walk and entered the pier. It was going on six o'clock and I made my way around Ruby's restaurant and sat on a bench. The same three Vietnamese had their fishing lines out. A man swung his line around and it landed. Four Mackerel danced in front of me.  
   He picked each up with a prong and removed the fish from the line. The silver bananas did not stop thrashing until he deposited them inside his bucket...Why yesterday I saw one Mackerel do the twist to the beat of a a big band number. Ruby's has a speaker that broadcasts big band sounds. 
   The electric wheel chair was busy also. Inside the man pressed a button and the automatic fishing pole slung the line over the pier into the water. Within a few minutes he caught another Mackerel. He smiled an calmly dropped the food inside his bag pack. 
    The fog slowly began to lift, just like my spirits.  my day had just begun. A young kid swung around the end of the pier dancing on a skate board. I heard a thud, and the next moment the board slowly came my way, made a turn inside the bench, just missed the wheel chair and landed into the drink.  
    The young kid came my way. He looked for his skate board and turned my way. "Did you see my skate board.? 
     "Yes it slid down into the deep, a centimeter too small to be stopped by railing. ." 
     "The young man pulled out a cigarette and we began to chat. I whipped a few drops of dew from the upstairs roof at Ruby's. 
      "Hey kid, got a name...was the board expensive?" 
      "Hell no, it was only a penny board. Got a bigger one back home."
      "Go to college?"
       "Golden West for three days a year ago. Not my thing. I work at Pizza Hut in Westminster and do about everything there. I take orders, make the pizza, and do about everything a manager does."
       "Is your pay about ten or eleven?"
       "Hell no! I git only nine, but did take classes in Electricity early on. Society stinks, and think I will go to the mountains and hang out."
       All of a sudden strange things happened. The wheel chair went over the side railings--with the man and bait. And then it happened...a n d you will not believe this. A large one pound or more Mackerel slid up on the penny board and with his tail kicked it up to the young kid. And by God it was the same darn fish that had done the twist the day before. 
      Just then a swish of water drowned us. The man with the wheel chair landed at my feet. Yet he stood up and now could walk. 
        

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing like sitting at the end of the Surf City Pier and gander at the Vietnamese fisherman do their thing. They are immune to the radiation of the Mackerel.

    ReplyDelete